Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
8,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank is becoming a WAR ZONE!!

2 of my reds keep going at it all the time!! They are both showing some injuries to thier fins, and some scales missing, but no "mortal" wounds. In addition to them fighting my Cariba, and Tern keep getting stirred up and randomly fighting with ANYONE.

I recently put in a sump, and rearanged the tank after draining it to install a new stand. One though I have it that the noise/vibration from the sump could be bothering them, or perhapps I should just sell a few off to lighten the load.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
983 Posts
They are probably claming their territories again because you rearranged everything. Just let them get used to the tank but keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
My pygos became a whole new level of gay when I added a wet/dry. I have no idea why, but I guess you are having the opposite.

·
8,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My guys are not too shy at all, in fact they are all lined up across the front of the tank staring at me now, it's just the higher level of fights.

The injuries have been minor, but they are starting to actually look beat up. 2 of them have small mouth injuries from biting each others mouths, and there are a lot of nipped fins.

They are healing pretty fast wich is good, but I'm concerned someone is going to seriously hurt someone else.

·
Registered
109 Posts
When I had my fake plants in the fighting never stopped so I just ended up taking out all of the plants. It is kind of plain but it works and it helped with the fighting a lot. Although the piraya still runs the show and bullies the other fish around.

·
"Bruce Lee" the Legend
5,194 Posts
They are probably trying to re establish their territories. One thing you can do that may help is too lower your temperature a degree or two. Just keep a close eye on them, I don't think you should have any major problems, but if you do, have a hospital tank ready and if all else fails, try reducing the number of P's in your tank

·
8,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I have been considering reducing the # of fish for a while now.

I really want to get a piraya to round out the pygo collection I have gathered. I put a post in the member clasified section, and will give up 2 or 3 reds to add a piraya.

I have a 10G hospitol tank standing by in case it's needed, I just hope it doesn't come to that. They were quite civil tonight, they ate and chilled like they used to so perhaps they are over whatever it was that got them going. I just don't want to see any of my fish killed... ya know...

Thanks for all the replies, and hit me up if you are in the area, and want a couple/few 5"+ reds
just remeber.. GOOD HOMES ONLY!!! no dumbasses!!!

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Civic Disobedience said:
My tank is becoming a WAR ZONE!!

I recently put in a sump, and rearanged the tank after draining it to install a new stand.
[snapback]913569[/snapback]​
You basically answered your questions there. You've disturbed their established territories and now fighting to re-establish the ranks. For now, I would turn the heat lto help lower their activeness. Just watch closely and hopefully, they'll find their spot before cassualty happnes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts