Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Indianapolis Football
12,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have no idea how it hapenned but it just got shattered.. I am trying to pick every little piece of glass out of the tank.. I have a 55 g with 3 red bellys..

Do I need to go get a new one immediately ? Is there anything I need to be worried about besides broken glass in the tank ?

·
DOC#003162
15,011 Posts
how cold does get in your area at night cause the temp will probably drop quick, you could try

to insulte the tank with blankets or some thing till you can get a new heater, and may i suggest you get two

heaters in case this happens again youll still have the one goin

and id get them soon as you can

·
Indianapolis Football
12,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Freez I think I'll just go buy a new one tonight.. I am not taking any chances

I got all the glass out, what pissed me off is all three fish were swimming near where it broke, everytime I tried to chase them off they kept trying to come back like the glass was food or something

·
Indianapolis Football
12,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So there isn't anything else to be worried about besides glass remains and tank temperature in this case ?

·
The ASSMAN
20,570 Posts
Jewelz....if your house doesnt get that cold...you are much better off getting a heater online. you can get a titanium heater for the price of a shitty glass one in a lfs.

·
Indianapolis Football
12,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Grosse Gurke said:
Jewelz....if your house doesnt get that cold...you are much better off getting a heater online. you can get a titanium heater for the price of a shitty glass one in a lfs.
[snapback]929941[/snapback]​
well, I keep my house temperature pretty warm..

but won't the water temperature still drop without a heater ? I just don't know if I am comfortable waiting several days for it to arrive .. .

·
The ASSMAN
20,570 Posts
And there is nothing else to worry about. I broke a glass heater doing a water change one time and I didnt even get all the glass out of the gravel until I broke the tank totally down....I had no other problems.

·
Indianapolis Football
12,187 Posts
OK, the nearest LFS closes in 20 minutes; I think I'll run there real quick and get one . I might still order the titanium one though later

Thanks for all the help, guys

·
The ASSMAN
20,570 Posts
The temp would drop to equal you house temp....these fish can live with temps in the 60's as long as the drop and increase in temp is done slowley. I guess it would be a risk....but one I would probably take if the temp didnt drop too low at night.
If you are worried, I would get the cheapest heater I could find and then order one online....250 watt titanium heater with outside temp adjuster for $19.99 at bigalsonline. good heater and a good deal.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
it's so funny you posted this because i started athread about this very thing in this forum recently. you could probably go b ack a day or two and find it if you cared to. if not. that's cool to.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've broken a glass heater while re-arranging my rocks and a rock hit the heater and shattered it. I spent the extra $ and got an all black, shatter-proof one. forgot the name of it, Strealth...something. Well worth the extra $ IMO

·
Indianapolis Football
12,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey.. I am back

I just got the visi-therm shatter-proof thermal plastic stealth 200 heater, is that the one you were talking about, edcal ?

Grosse Gurke - I didn't catch your last post before I left the house, that heater I bought was like $35..lol.. It sounds like I easily could've waited a few days and saved some money but I guess I kinda panicked

·
Registered
469 Posts
On Wed- I went an got a 200w Stealth Titanium heater as well to avoid any shattering...Been one too many times hearing the fish slam into the heater

·
Registered
0 Posts
You made the right choice, I would not want to risk it either. Just make sure you get EVERY piece of that glass out, you dont want your fish picking through the gravel and swollowing the glass

·
Registered
480 Posts
Weere you doing a water change with the heater on ? In my opinion ebo's are the best heaters but never had the one u r talking about

·
Indianapolis Football
12,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
necroxeon said:
Weere you doing a water change with the heater on ? In my opinion ebo's are the best heaters but never had the one u r talking about
[snapback]930536[/snapback]​
not at the time it hapenned but yeah I've done it before..

I think I got all the glass out, luckily it didn't break in really tiny pieces

1 - 18 of 18 Posts