Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to ship some piranhas to a friend of mine away at college and I am worried about them dying on the way. What are the best things to do if shipping during the winter?

·
Danse Macabre!
10,561 Posts
# Only ship healthy fish that have not been fed for 2-4 days.
# If the fish are cold tolerant, such as trout, bluegill, striped bass, etc., temperatures should be lowered gradually to 60°F (the metabolic rate of the fish will be reduced).
# Know the quality of the water the fish will be released into at their destination. The quality of your water should be adjusted slowly to the same pH, alkalinity, salinity, etc.
# The clean water used for shipping should be held separate from the fish before packing. Salt is typically added to the water at a rate of 1 to 5 ppt (parts per thousand). That is .8 to 4 pounds of salt per 100 gallons or 3.8 to 19 grams per gallon. This reduces osmotic stress on freshwater fish.
# Various conditioners such as zeolite, activated carbon, pH lock and ammonia locking solutions may be used.
# Fill shipping bags 1/3 full with the pretreated aerated water and gently place fish into the bags.
# Compress the bag to remove all air and refill with pure oxygen. The typical ratio is 1/3 water, 2/3 oxygen.
# Double bag and seal with rubber bands, heat, etc.
# Place the bags in insulated containers and add heat or cool packs to maintain temperature.

Here's an article

http://www.uniquaria.com/articles/shipping.html

Good luck

·
Danse Macabre!
10,561 Posts
sh*t I forgot to mention, when shipping piranhas it is always best to put them inside a plastic tupperware container with holes punched in it, and THEN put it in the bag than to put it directly in the bag as piranhas are notorious for chewing holes in bags and consequently dying.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts