Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I am setting up a huge tank for my boss, He really wants 2 arowanas, so obviously I told him that he needs 200 + so after we setup his 250 gallon tank, he wanted to know what else can go in there since arowanas primarily stay at top. Since we will be getting juvenilles arows, I told him a possibility of a family of convicts, or jacks, or maybe oscars, I really like the convicts, with caves and driftwood, I think they would make a great stocking buddy, but any other suggestions welcome. so what can and would u put in with arownas to add spruce to the lower levels!? n e help appreciated! thank will post pics of my setup!

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
Oh boy-this reminds me of my old setup-But I only wish i had the 250 to work with-There is many of options that could work here-But I'm afraid that-that 250 is not big enough to housde the 2 aro's let alone stuff more in there-
But you could refer to some of my old pics for tank mates that could be suitable-

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jardinis, and he wants 2 I just attempted to stray him from his wants!, but I mean he wants the arowanas, he is a big spender, and we r starting with juveniles. so worse case scenario he will upgrade so size out of it and money out of it, are convicts out of the question for bottom dwellers? I am not new to fishies, and I will be taking care of his fishies, we have a 55 gallon sump with 2 xp4's so I believe I am doing it right, even if I got 2 silvers
but I am not that silly lemme knwo

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
jardinis, and he wants 2 I just attempted to stray him from his wants!, but I mean he wants the arowanas, he is a big spender, and we r starting with juveniles. so worse case scenario he will upgrade so size out of it and money out of it, are convicts out of the question for bottom dwellers? I am not new to fishies, and I will be taking care of his fishies, we have a 55 gallon sump with 2 xp4's so I believe I am doing it right, even if I got 2 silvers
but I am not that silly lemme knwo
Good luck on the two jardini's alone-Keep us updated

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Jardini's can get beat bad when smaller by other aggressive fish and when they get to a certain size get to be real pricks killing everything in site. Choose your tank mates wisely, which you are extremly limited on by the jardini. IMO pick a tougher cichlid than a convict.

I don't know how two jardini's will work together. I know two silver arow adults won't.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
If you get a jardini it will probably kill every other fish in the tank, jardinis are one of the most aggressive fish out there. I would get a black aro and just one, black and silver aros are generally aggressive towards their own kind. IMO black aros look 10 times better than silvers. For tank mates you could get some oscars, a jack dempsy, or any other fish that is big enough not to get eaten or is not exceedingly aggressive i.e. jardinis, doviis, red devils ect.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
that is what I was thinking, blacks arent out of the question, he really wants 2, I am keep tryin to sway him , but I am only one person, I was thinking dempseys or convicts cause they can hold their own but dont go after a fight unless they share territory or areas, but with this size I think there will be a pass, so I will see

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
you can tell him he can get 2 black aros if he wants, but it would be a lot faster to throw $300 into a fire. You can pretty much put anything in with a silver or black aro that will not bully it or fit in its mouth. I really hope your boss sees the light.

·
Skankzilla
18,320 Posts
Be careful with Jack Dempseys/Oscars with Arrowanas. An old roommate had this mix in college and one night the Arrowana was killed by attacks from below. I'm guessing it was the Jack Dempsey cause it was a bitch, but the kid lost a $50 fish so just thought I'd warn you.

·
^word
4,324 Posts
Forget the 2 arrows. No mix of species I know would work, let alone in a 250. Forget the Jardinis, they for the most part need to be alone, unless you get very lucky, and sometimes you can get away with other fish (very limited), but you need to make sure you don't get something too aggressive to attact the arrow. Go with the silver, cheap common fish, and will probably be fine in a 250, blacks are too expensive and rare.

Then get a pair of oscars, and a lima shovel and a royal pleco. Awesome South american tank where all the fish could be found at an LFS for under $100, and will all be something people will want to take a second and third look.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
one more thing, you said you were buying juveniles, when you are buying aros make sure they dont still have the yolk sack attached to them. When they do they are a lot harder to care for.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanx every one for tips, I am aware of the yolks on juevniles, I was reffering to 4-7 inch juvenilles not the sack age. I think I am going to stick with my gut and do a family of convicts and arowana. I will get a silver that is 2-4 inch bigger than convicts, that way convicts dont mess, and arowana mouth cant fit them yet. oscars and jds are tempermental and oscars well I would need 3 more filters lol! thanx for all advice, and member I am not a noob, I was looking for advice on species types. True I will have a huge tank filled with potential monsters, but until they are monsters my boss will be fine esp with the filtration I have setuo for him... and the day they grow out of the tank, I will make him an aquarium 8 ft long for his basement.... so no downsides here!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts