Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
alright, im setting up a new tank, not a very big one, its about a 35 gallon. 40"x14x16 roughly, something around there. anywho, everyone is always gloating about how cool there rhom is, but i still fail to see it,

should i get the 3" rhom my lfs has had on the shelf in about a 10 gallon tank, and free him into this one for about a year, and then if he grows on me and shows me somethin i like, upgrade him to a bigger tank.

or should i look into something else, like a puffer or something.

i had a spilo for about 3 months, and to be honest i hated him, barely ever swam infront of me, and almost never ate unless i turned the light off. i know it takes them a while to "come out of the shell" but still.

so is it worth a shot? or should i just stray away from the whole idea.

oh i forgot to mention, i can get a 4" Elong, for the same price i can get a 4" rhom for, what would you get and why?

also. for any admin who see's this, i meant to put this in "piranha discussion" might be the more appropriate forum for this topic, if you could move it that would be good, thank you.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Yeah, that 35g is small for a Rhom. Yes, Rhoms are slower growers after they hit the 6" mark, but that tank might be a bit of a squeeze

The elong would be a nice fish, but remember that it depends on the individual fish weather or not it is aggressive. A S. Sanchize would be a nice fish for that size tank if you could get one.

·
Banned
14,902 Posts
you can keep a 6 inch rhom in a 30 gallon just fine. but you wont be doing much other than housing him. he might therefor boor you. and its not a matter of if he grows but when. ive kept rhombs (babies) in 30's before for 2-3 years from fry stage to about 4-5 inches. but they will require room eventually. rhombs are nice though because you can plan his future home down the road while you raise him in a smaller thank. just remember that they still require space and atmosphere to make them comfortable and a 30 is hard to achieve with that. youll love your rhomb if you can dedicate a tank for him without worry for a few years. something like a 75 would be great for a long time.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im just worried that he will be boring as sh*t, haha, like if i dedicate my 150 to something i want something awesome. other wise im going to have multiple fish,

i think i might go with an african tiger fish for my next one in my 150 if i dont get a rhom. plus it will take him like 5 years to grow into my 150, where i typically get bored of fish and change species about once every year or 2.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
from my knowledge elongs dont grow that that quick...the biggest ive heard is like 6-8" cant recall exact tho...from readings i notice people say rhoms can be a bit "lazier" then elongs...personally id like to get an elong, and it would be my choice over a rhom....you could definatly stick an elong in a 55....you could probably get away with it for life too

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.