Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if a 90 gallon tank could be supported by an old computer desk or something of that nature that is made out of wood or steel and is solid. I ask this question because it has come to my immediate attention that Wood stands for a 90 gallon aquarium are invariabally more expensive then the used computer desks that would be utilized as stands. Please let me know. and if anyone has used a used desk or new computer desk for a big tank with success please let me know. and if there are any tests to determine whether or not the desk is strong enough. thanks. shred.

·
Registered
477 Posts
use scinderblocks and a few pieces of wood. and if you wanted to get flashy you can put like a black sheet on it so you have like table cloth and no one will see the scinderblocks

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
marcc420 said:
use scinderblocks and a few pieces of wood. and if you wanted to get flashy you can put like a black sheet on it so you have like table cloth and no one will see the scinderblocks
worlds best and cheapest stand

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am sorry if I am missing something....but how is this better than a well built desk ? and if I use the cinder block idea ( probably will ! ) how do I do it and please provide an explaination how thanks !

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
im using scinder blocks for my 55g too
just get some blocks, depending on how you want it set up and how tall.. stack them up.. flat ways- maybe 2 stacks under the middle of the tank and one stack on each end.. so it fully supports the weight of the tank and then just lay a flat piece of wood on top, just to level it off, put yur tank on and yur set!

·
Registered
873 Posts
the water alone in the 90 gal is going to weigh roughly 725 lbs, if you added the weight of the tank, gravel, etc, I wouldnt be surprised if it was close to 1000 lbs. a computer weighs at most 100 lbs. I personally wouldn't put any tank over 10 gallons on those computer desks they sell at staples or walmart for 100-200 bucks, but if you had a nice thick woden desk (made of some kind of hardwood) it could work.

just my $.02

~Will.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
i agrees with illWill.

unless its a supported desk i wouldn't bother with it. we can't even see the desk, we dont know i its dtrogn or not. if its particle board, NO, it needs to be strong, annd particle board does NOT add strengh. i really dont know how to word it, but there is no way i would use a computer desk as a stand. they are not designed to hold tanks. thats what stands are for. im telling you bro, buy a stand, its a little bit of $$$, but this way you will not have to worry about the strengh of your stand.

i already told you, stand here are only 75$ plus tax, less than 100$, you can't really complain about that.

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
Shred Revolution said:
I am sorry if I am missing something....but how is this better than a well built desk ? and if I use the cinder block idea ( probably will ! ) how do I do it and please provide an explaination how thanks !
because most well build desks are still kinda weak

1 - 9 of 9 Posts