Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Captain P
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading on Shark Aquarium that these species can be shoaled (Serrasalmus medinei or sanchezi). Anyone tried it?

·
Captain P
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jerry_plakyda said:
Technically Serrasalmus species are solitary fish. It is at what cost you are willing to put up with such an experiment. Hey, i've seen it first hand a shoal of elongs packed in a 20 gallon with no fin nips....It's all up to you...People will tell you no, others will say go for it...I doubt Sanchezi or any Serra would successfully shoal without a very large tank. My experience is that it will destroy anything that moves. When i had mine in the 55 i had a pleco 3 times his size and he still killed it by drilling a hole through his head.
[snapback]837040[/snapback]​
Well I have a 90 Gallon that I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with. I'm gonna have 3 baby rbps and maybe 1 piraya in my 75 Gallon. The 90.....I'm just exploring ideas, maybe a piraya and caribe shoal. However, 3 sanchezi's might be worth a shot.

·
Captain P
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is the definition of a shoal then? A large group or number: a shoal of fish. Or is there some definition of shoal which specifically refers to them not only living in groups, but their behavior and reasons for that behavior in groups.

·
Captain P
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was just checking the validity of what George presented on his site. Which was:

Red Throat Piranha 4-5"
Serrasalmus medinei or sanchezi

These piranha are medium sized, can be kept in shoals, have reflective scales, and a red throat.

Evidently , he has presented inaccurate information and I suppose my question has been partially answered because I still want to know the expieriences of the people that have tryed it.

·
Captain P
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll keep you guys posted. The liklihood of me keeping serras together is very low. I was just probing for info.

·
Captain P
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
azeral26 said:
I'll keep you guys posted. The liklihood of me keeping serras together is very low. I was just probing for info.
[snapback]837157[/snapback]​
I want to keep a "group" of piranhas in the 90 and I was exploring all the options.

·
Captain P
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I'll make it ,the 90, the Highlander Tank. Riverwonders has 5 baby assorted blacks for cheap. I'll drop them in and "There can be only one"
hahahahhaaa

·
Captain P
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
KrazyCrusader said:
I have a video of 2 Sanchezi's that are 4 Yr's old and living together and they stay really close to each other but don't nip each other at all. They are totally at peace. No violence in this instance.
[snapback]837250[/snapback]​

·
Captain P
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Excellent reply. That cleared up a lot of questions I had. So the sanchezi , in some cases, eats the fins of the natteri for a food source. I thought the fin nipping was exclusively for territory issues (It was a newbie assumption). Weird. That is
. You have expanded my understanding.

·
Captain P
2,753 Posts
Also since it is in the nature of a serra to fin nip as a food source, then...eventually one of them would be weakened by that behavior and they will just kill it. Hence why it is a wild card to keep them together right?

·
Captain P
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Holy sh*t! I dropped a black molly from my 75 into my baby p tank, 1.5 inches. 3 of them in there. They chased it behind the weeds and it was no more. First time I've watched them do it.
. My little rbps are aggresive.

·
Captain P
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
azeral26 said:
Holy sh*t! I dropped a black molly from my 75 into my baby p tank, 1.5 inches. 3 of them in there. They chased it behind the weeds and it was no more. First time I've watched them do it.
. My little rbps are aggresive.
[snapback]837405[/snapback]​
My gf is gonna be pissed when she gets back and see's her black molly gone.

·
Captain P
2,753 Posts
azeral26 said:
My gf is gonna be pissed when she gets back and see's her black molly gone.

[snapback]837420[/snapback]​
If you've read my p-trek thread of course it was Fatass who ate it all.

Captain P hid out near the driftwood like usual.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.