Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Raul-7 said:
Can this species be kept in a shoal, in a species-only tank?
[snapback]919304[/snapback]​
it has been done...but w/ a big tank and lots of dedication...suggestion?...one fish...one tank...unless you use a divider...

and

:welcome:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
traumatic said:
Medinai is a rare fish, a smaller species similar to S. sanchezi. It should be kept alone.

send a PM to Mr. Hannibal he's from venezuela and is the only person I know of who keeps this species.
[snapback]919318[/snapback]​
What happens if they are kept in a shoal? I thought Piranhas crowd waterpools together during the dry season.

BTW, I plan on building a 96"x48"x36" tank somewhere in the future to house these or any other aggressive Piranha that shoal. Feeding frenzy at it's best!

·
what up NINJA
4,581 Posts
considering serrasalmus species piranha don't "Shoal" as it is, I could see you putting a couple in that big ass tank there w/ hundreds of dither fish to keep them from attacking each other. I think what you want are Pygos (cariba, redbelly, ternetzi, or paraya)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I don't have a mendani as they are pretty rare but do have a sanchezi as they have beeb comonly mislabeled

If you have the same fish the follow in may help...

I have a Sanchezi kept solitary in it's tank. I have never tried to shoal him with another because I only saw one at the LFS when I had bought him. Since then, I have heard that they can shoal togeather but would need a larger tank.

Personally I think it is one of the most colorful P's and since I have had him 5 years now, I don't want to gamble on it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
traumatic said:
considering serrasalmus species piranha don't "Shoal" as it is, I could see you putting a couple in that big ass tank there w/ hundreds of dither fish to keep them from attacking each other. I think what you want are Pygos (cariba, redbelly, ternetzi, or paraya)
[snapback]919427[/snapback]​
Then which of the Pyrgo species has the best coloration, and doesn't grow too big (less than 14")? Can Piranha's live with small fish such as Cory's, Neons, etc.?

·
what up NINJA
4,581 Posts
Raul-7 said:
traumatic said:
Then which of the Pyrgo species has the best coloration, and doesn't grow too big (less than 14")? Can Piranha's live with small fish such as Cory's, Neons, etc.?
[snapback]920487[/snapback]​
Reds are the smallest pygos. Usually not exceeding a foot in 5 years. Paraya will get large faster than cariba or ternetzi. Any other fish in the tank are a meal for the p's

·
Danse Macabre!
10,561 Posts
Raul-7 said:
traumatic said:
[snapback]920487[/snapback]​
Most will not grow larger than 14 inches, in fact it's a rare sight to see anyone with even a piraya (largest growing pygo) at 14 inches or more. So really, you could get any pygo you want for your future tank that you plan on building. In a tank that big, I would get caribe or piraya. I own red bellies myself but the caribe or piraya are slightly less common and the people that own them all seem very happy with their fish.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm thinking of going with the Super Reds. Are there any differences between the Super Reds and regular, all I know is that Super Reds are wild..but are they more aggressive? And how many do you recommend I keep in the big ass tank?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts