Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on getting one Serrasalmus medinai, i noticed that aquascape had one, but not anymore. After reading more about this type of piranha I noticed that its very rare and hard to get...I'm in no hury to get one anytime soon, since i have to setup and cycle my tank. Are they still rare to find? i was looking for a 2"

· Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
elTwitcho said:
Extremely rare, however importers have been mistakenly selling Spilos as medinai for a long time, so there's alot of mislabelled fish floating around the hobby. I emailed pedro inquiring about confirming identity of his medinai and got no response so I left it at that.
[snapback]873268[/snapback]​
So i'm guessing my chances of actually getting the real thing are not very good...

· Registered
18,153 Posts
There are only two or three PFury members (out of more than 6500) that have a true S. medinai - I think that says it all

I think they are very rare because they live in area's that are hardly ever fished for the aquatic trade, if ever. And I heard something about an Venezuelan export ban on many fish - not 100% sure about that, though.

· Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Judazzz said:
There are only two or three PFury members (out of more than 6500) that have a true S. medinai - I think that says it all

I think they are very rare because they live in area's that are hardly ever fished for the aquatic trade, if ever. And I heard something about an Venezuelan export ban on many fish - not 100% sure about that, though.
[snapback]873468[/snapback]​
Wow, they are rare! I've seen them for sale at aquaspace... they're probably listed wrong...

· Registered
1,585 Posts
that sucks, since they are an awesome p! any fish that grows to 22" and is a meat eater in my books rocks
Not saying they will always grow that big but still dont get discoureged man! keep looking if three or four got em, it is possible! but things that are hard to get are usually worth it..?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.