Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know about this species (agresssion, size, personal experience, rare or common, size tank, can it be kept with pygos, feeding, ect). I know some people put spilos and spilo cf with their pygos, could I do the same with these guys? What would be a good price for a 4 or 5 incher?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what im asking! My lfs has 2 of them labeled as red araguia piranhas and they look awesome! They have the best coloring of any piranha, any fish actually, that I have ever seen! I want one so bad!

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
As far as I know, S. Maculatus (aka. Ruby-red Spilo) hasn't been recognized as a seperate species yet... The name is used by hobbyists to differentiate it from the more common Gold Spilo, but research still has to determine wheter it's a seperate species indeed, or a variety of S. Spilopleura...

As far as care, I think it would be basically the same as taking care of a Spilo, so should be kept alone (unless you have a huge tank, and are a risk-taker, that is willing to accept some casualties...)

For more (ie. better) info, check out the OPEFE website

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Any info that you find on Gold Spilos will also pertain to macs.

~Dj

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
FeederFish33 said:
thats what im asking! My lfs has 2 of them labeled as red araguia piranhas and they look awesome! They have the best coloring of any piranha, any fish actually, that I have ever seen! I want one so bad!
Does it look anything like this?

Maculatus

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
You will get the info you need at OPEFE's site!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts