Piranhas Forum banner

Serrasalmus maculatus - Breeding

12K views 73 replies 23 participants last post by  piranha_guy_dan 
#1 ·
I checked on their tank an hour ago and discovered the eggs were finally laid in the breeding material furnished by Hollywood. Arnold has been privately following my reports over the last couple of days. I suspected something was up and more so when I used a stick to check the guarded area......the fish tried to bite the stick. Photos were taken of the male and the female S. maculatus. I have photos of the eggs, though not very clear, but clear enough to be seen.

I'm sure some of you will ask what kind of care did they get.....my answer is NONE. This tank was pretty much ignored except for feeding time in the evening and replacement of water when the level dropped. There is no heater in the tank and just an outside room oil-filled room radiator is used. I have no water parameters nor water temperature guide to give you. Point is, this tank received no special care and the fish bred.

1. Male guarding nest.

2. male and Female doing the wildthing.

3. eggs (you'll have to look closely) This is the best I can do for now without disturbing the male.

#7 ·
Ummmmmmm the fish were going to use the coconut fiber that I purchased at the store and had been in there for some time. The spawning mat you are making a fuss over was stuck in there just for the helluva it over the coconut fibers. Did that make the fish spawn? Nope. Just cause you sit on a park bench don't mean some gal is gonna make love to you.

#8 ·
KrazyCrusader Posted Today, 05:45 PM

You guys are so funny... Congrats again though anyway!! Good job!!

GG someday you will figure out that Criticizing other members of P-Fury doesn't make you look cool and will make people who frequent the site hesitant to even ask questions or offer advise because you guys just keep giving them sh*t. You are the last person that should be criticizing anyone.
Criticizing who?
grosse gurke Posted Today, 05:20 PM
But Frank....what about the wet/dry simulation you must have done? What about the daily water changes?

Oh well...Congrats big fella!!
He was making a joke. Look it up in the dictionary. Also look around the internet, plenty of things that fit a joke are out there too.

#11 ·
The tank is a 55g. It is divided by approx. 20g by a plexglass. A small P. piraya sits on one side of the divider in the smaller gallonage. 3 S. maculatus are in that tank. 1 was given to me by Hollywood, 2 were brought to me by a Portland hobbyist a few months ago. The one that Hollywood gave me is the female that we picked up at a pet store in Portland. I was with him when we got it.

So in a matter of speaking the fish bred in about 35g's of water.

#12 ·
Here is the tank setup. It looks nasty with the algae, but that's how I do it (old style) I'm not into appearances and don't care what other think of the esthetics of it. The P. natt's that bred for me were in this same type of set up. What made this with the S. mac's unique is the tank was neglected as I stated except for adding water. The water is pristine inside with a light tea color because of the tannins from the coconut fiber. I don't recommend everyone do this to their fish tank. But if you are serious about breeding fishes, sometimes too much care is worse than no care.

#15 ·
Congrats Frank!

As far as KC I sense a bit of jealousy. First of all I will repeat something you(KC) made public : you never attempted to breed nor own breeding pair of piranhas. With that said I can see how your vast experience has affected this forum.

Second quoting me from another thread and applying it to this thread has no relation at all. I stated "Not a preferred method", I did not say do not use. I breed red bellies to help finance my hobby so high yields = more money. Frank does not share the same view, its more for information collection.

Third let this be your first public warning. I had enough of your silly mind games.

#18 ·
:laugh:
Just for the sake of this thread, I'll buy one tonight or tomorrow when I go into town. Im somewhat curious too. And Hollywood is right, I'm in this to gather data and information for OPEFE and you all. I'll leave the ego's to those that want to write books.

#20 ·
shoe997bed263 Posted Today, 08:31 PM
congrads that is great to hear. the more p's breeding the better. hope my irritans r as in the mood as yours r. keep us posted
Just follow the advice and reads carefully what Hollywood tells you. He is a modest man but knows more about breeding p's in his little finger than some people do on their entire web site forum!

#25 ·
hastatus said:
Just follow the advice and reads carefully what Hollywood tells you. He is a modest man but knows more about breeding p's in his little finger than some people do on their entire web site forum!
[snapback]872502[/snapback]​
hmm... hopefully ur talkin about p fury casue uhm if not thats another cheap shot ur taking at that forum and of course u will deny it .. y must u b so childish about this??
u talk about posting relavant stuff and u turn around an say this.. i doubt u used some of ur scientific knowledge to reach this conclusion.. u bred the macs good job no need to take cheap shots.. seriously... remember whos method u effen ripped off.. and dont even try to deny it seriously.. u went against so much info u put out... with such hypocracy u should b in a suit with those politicians trying to outlaw p's in oregon... how much would it hurt to just fess up and tell the truth or at least be consistant...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.