Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
10,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to b_ack51 for sending this nice specimen (dead) of S. irritans. I will be taking an official photo of it later this week for inclusion at OPEFE web site. This was scanned through the preserved bottle I placed it in.

· Skankzilla
16,305 Posts
Not sure what Frank has him preserved in, I just used rubbing alcohol to preserve it for a week. It passed away during a heater malfunction which rose the tank temperature up to over a 100 degrees. I then asked Frank if he would like the fish because it is still a juvi-adult irritan. Ended up sending it to him after the holidays.

It was a great fish, was very aggressive and my second favorite piranha. Only one I like more is my Geryi, this irritan though had a great personality for being such a small fish.

One thing that doesn't show well cause its gone now was the yellow coloring on his anal fin, but you can kinda notice it in the second picture. On the picture you have to look on the fin close to the body, when he was alive the yellow on the fin was great.

· Registered
10,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's being kept in the same alcohol it came in. Squuezed it out of the cloth. I'll let it sit in that for awhile then transfer over to a clean jar of formalin. I keep them in alcohol in case the university wants it for DNA. I alert them and if I don't hear from them in a reasonable time, then it goes in permanent jar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.