Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called up a lfs in my area and they said they had a serrasalmus calmoni for sale at 80$ canadian. He said that it doesnt look like a red belly and it doesnt look like a black piranha and that it was like 5'' long. Any Ideas on what it could be??

· Registered
10,481 Posts
Pristobrycon calmoni (not Serrasalmus) is a very rare species, hardly ever seen anywhere. Not even in fish tanks to my knowledge. Most store that have offered this species before have confused it for other Pristobrycon (ie; eigenmanni and striolatus for example). Photos would do wonders.

· Registered
10,481 Posts
Can't tell much from the photo. Here is the color of life description and shape.

The body is generally silver and coppery colored. The vental and head region is tinted with orange iridescence. The eye is yellow. On the gill is a blemish (diffused). A humeral spot is present shaped like an oval. The fins are hyaline with the exception of the anal fin. The anal fin is tinted with yellow and orange with a dark band on the distal portion. The caudal fin base is dark and the edge of the tail fin has a terminal band. Juveniles of this species are generally silver with small spots and ovals intermixed. P. calmoni is a small species (under 6 inches TL). Very discoid.

Now having said that, majority of the Pristobrycon has this appearance. Does your photo show P. calmoni? Don't know because it is not a clear photo and its tail is cut off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.