Piranhas Forum banner

Sense of smell..?

278 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  elTwitcho 
#1 ·
I know that each fish is different but do guys notice that it seems like the pygo family have a little better sense of smell than perhaps..say a serra species..May be a little to general. Over the years I notice that feeding my reds and my brothers terns they actively hunt for the food as opposed to my single species which take longer to find the food.. Just a observation..Any opinions welcome..

#2 ·
i am not sure that i would totally relate that just to smell. i notice wiht my irritans when i put food in their tank they hunt their food. my caribes just attack the food. my irritan will hide behind a rock until the food or feeder is near him and will attack. especially with feeders he will wait till they come close to him and will dart out take a bite, grab the food and return to behind the rock. i am not sure if that is due to smell of just different ways of catching thier prey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.