Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my tank is going through a secondary cycle. The ammonia and nitrates are fine but the nitrites have risen to .25ppm. I have been doing 20% changes for the past 2 days. Any suggestions to keep my fish stress free?.

-Kevin-

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Could the fact that you have done two quick water changes cause this spike as the nitrites need to build back up? Maybe you stressed the tank a little with doing two back to back changes? Just a thought....If you think the levels are getting to high, quarantine the fish until it seems better....I wouldnt take a chance.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
What are your nitrates at, you say they are fine but what is the reading. I dont know what a secondary cycle is but nitrites should be the least of your worries once the tank is fully cycled.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Xenon said:
Could the fact that you have done two quick water changes cause this spike as the nitrites need to build back up? Maybe you stressed the tank a little with doing two back to back changes? Just a thought....If you think the levels are getting to high, quarantine the fish until it seems better....I wouldnt take a chance.
I dont think water changes have anything thing to do with the cycle other than reducing nitrates. the bacteria involved in the cycle are mainly in the gravel and filters. if you cleaned your filters you may have a nitrite spike if you removed too much of the good bacteria. I am no expert but this is my understanding.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think some people get carried away with water changes. I don't know the cirucmstances of your tank so I'm not saying it didn't need it.

I only do water changes evey other week unless the water quality gets way out of whack. I also alternate filter media changes. My water is always clear and good quality.

This is just what works for me. Everyone does things different as different things work under different circumstances.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do a 10% one week and a 20-30% the next week. I haven't changed any of the media except 2 out of 4 carbon cartridges. My taqnk was fully cycled with 0 ammon., 0 nitrites, and 30ppm nitrates. Now I have .25ppm nitrites and still 0 ammonia. I didn't do the back to back changes until I noticed the rise in nitrites.

-Kevin-

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Sounds like you have something in the tank that is placing a little too much strain on the bio load. If you havent added any new fish lately I would look for a piece of food hiding somewhere. I think it should be fine once the bacteria catches up to the new load.
just my 2c

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to kick off the weekend, do you think they would like some shots of bio-spira :D I have never used it before. I added some stress coat and ph regulater (supposed to promote bacteria growth) last night. I could also probably get some living bacteria from the lfs but don't know if I can sweat talk them AGAIN. Anything I can add would ease my mind. I am going to cut there food portions 1/3 until I get a different result. Thanks,

-Kevin-

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Checked a minute ago. Nitrites still .25 ppm, nitrates 30-40 ppm. and a higher p.h. (7.2-7.4). Ammonia still 0. Should I even worry about this. Am I over-reacting. I wouldn't want my little prized posessions to suffer. What do you all think. (y'all if you are from the south) :laughlong: .

-Kevin-

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've only used Bio Spira once but I think it kicks ass!! Are you sure there's actually water in the tank and not just chemicals?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't added anything but ph regulator and stress coat with my water changes. That is pretty normal isn't it?

-Kevin-

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was just flippin ya some sh*t dude. The stress coat is fine as it dechlorinates the water but I don't reccommend playing with the PH at all. It too difficult to keep it at a constant and could result in PH shock.

My P's always seem to adjust to my tap PH without any problems.

Are you sure you're getting a good test? I would take a water sample to your lfs. One of your tap water and one of your tank water. This way you can see exactly what youre working with. Some water treatment plants such as mine will test your water for free or little charge. I found that my PH test at home was around 8.5 but had it tested by the local water treatment plant and it was only 7.0

Every water change you do will somewhat through the levels out of balance.

Something else you may want to check is that there could be something rotting in the tank that you missed while cleaning. I found a huge chunk of beefheart rotting in the hole in a piece of driftwood once and have found fish heads buried in the gravel that I though I had cleaned. Just a thought.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will gravel vac again tomorrow night. I want to give them a stress free night tonight. Thanks for the info Razor, I will take my water to the lfs tomorrow.

-Kevin-

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Razorlips : "I think some people get carried away with water changes. I don't know the cirucmstances of your tank so I'm not saying it didn't need it."

This is so true!
I think that you should not try to make your tank clinically clean.
the fish need some dirt and not perfect water, otherwise their immune system will not be able to cope with any infections.
you only need to do waterchanges every month.
but make sure their is not large amounts of waste - goldfish heads.

luva40 : "Am I over-reacting. I wouldn't want my little prized posessions to suffer. What do you all think. "

I think this is an over-reaction, this does not sound too bad, and if their are no signs on the fish of ill-health then you shouldn't worry - just keep a check on the situation.

Razorlips : "The stress coat is fine as it dechlorinates the water but I don't reccommend playing with the PH at all. It too difficult to keep it at a constant and could result in PH shock."

Stress coat is simply highly priced dechlorinator.
PH is worth setting, if you ignore it then you are likely to drop/raise it when you do water changes, otherwise you could try to keep it at a constant, to do this I use some powder which automatically sets the PH to 7.0, and I find this does the trick - for the name of it look in my tutorial on how to set up a piranha tank, because I can't remember what it is called.

Razorlips : "Some water treatment plants such as mine will test your water for free or little charge. I found that my PH test at home was around 8.5 but had it tested by the local water treatment plant and it was only 7.0"

I also get my water tested for free, and reccomend this "second opinion" because you never know whether your test kit is a bit off.

luva40 : "I will gravel vac again tomorrow night."

I don't think you should clean the tank this much, I don't actially know how dirty it is, but I do think this seems quite a lot in one week, I don't think that the fish are too much at risk, after all piranhas are quite hardy fish

1 - 15 of 15 Posts