Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a new tank. Well new to me but it is the old slate bottom with the silver metal trim all around. I put about 5 gallons of water in the tank and it leaked. I talked to the guy at the fish store about what size tube of Silicone I would need. I think most of the tank is sealed very well but parts of the bottom need to be redone. He said that putting 5 gallosn of water into the tank and leaving it wasnt a good indication of the leaks. They could beminor leaks and if I filled it all to the top that all of the weight may close some of those leaks. Or it could be opposite and the leaks make get worse.

I dont want to have to strip the whole thing and get the size with the caulking gun but it seems as if I may have to do this. Can someone tell me is it ok to just strip the whole bottom?? or should I try the whole thing?? I did this with my old 10 gallon but you can compare a 10 gallon to a 55.

I also dont like the guys idea of fillifn it up all the way cuz that would take a long time an dif it leaked I would then have to take it all out. Is this the only way to tell if it works or not? Is filling it all the way up a good idea????

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the inside of the tank behind the silver trim is black, the bottom is like a dark gray slate and it has silicone in the coerners to keep it sealed. But it is leakign I gotta figure out what Im gonna do.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Hannibal Posted on Mar 18 2003, 02:17 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the inside of the tank behind the silver trim is black, the bottom is like a dark gray slate and it has silicone in the coerners to keep it sealed. But it is leakign I gotta figure out what Im gonna do.
OK, the black is the old stype putty cement. That is a chronic tank leaker and I seriously doubt you will ever be able to get a good seal on it. The aluminum that surrounds it will also contribute to the leaking. I know, got rid of the last one of those relics in my most recent move. Even stripping down the tank of all silicon on the outside (inside of tank) will probably produce more leaks because of the base of it (slate) which does not adhere well to silicone.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
They make a good planter or lizard home.

Its really up to you. I can only tell you my experience with it and I had about 7 or 8 of these horribly constructed aquarios and my share of cuts from them.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Would it be cost effective to replace the slate bottom with glass? I have no idea but I resealed a very old all glass tank and it was pretty easy. If it is a 55 gallon which I think you said, you can buy just the tank for around $60 so It would probably not be cost effective.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts