Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yo my piranha has been scratching itself on rocks and wood for a little while now and im starting to wonder whats goin on with him...why is he doin that and how can i prevent it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
the term we use here is flashing (im sure a quick search will help you out)
but it could be after eating or water conditions.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
What are your water peremeters sounds like you have a water quality problem or some type of infection. Post your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate then we can go from there.

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
PH has a ton to do with flashing as well. Check that. Got driftwood or anything?

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,000 Posts
Flashing is a sign that something is irritating them. Since there are many possible causes for
flashing we will break down the answers into a few possibilities.

1) If more than one fish, or most of them are flashing then poor water quality is the most obvious issue, for example the presence of ammonia or pH/kH problems. If only one fish shows this symptom, then chances are disease or parasites are causing the flashing. If ammonia is present treat with a neutralizer and perform a partial water change. Retest the next day. Ammonia should be gone. If not your filter is not functioning right or your tank has not been cycled before introducing your fish.

2) If your fish flash only during the day or night test ph in the early morning and at night. Fluctuations throughout the day can cause flashing.

3) If fish flash only during or after feeding it could be caused by food particles getting stuck in the gills.

4) Medications added to tank can cause flashing if the dosage is incorrect.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Flashing is a sign that something is irritating them. Since there are many possible causes for

1) If more than one fish, or most of them are flashing then poor water quality is the most obvious issue, for example the presence of ammonia or pH/kH problems. If only one fish shows this symptom, then chances are disease or parasites are causing the flashing. If ammonia is present treat with a neutralizer and perform a partial water change. Retest the next day. Ammonia should be gone. If not your filter is not functioning right or your tank has not been cycled before introducing your fish.

2) If your fish flash only during the day or night test ph in the early morning and at night. Fluctuations throughout the day can cause flashing.

3) If fish flash only during or after feeding it could be caused by food particles getting stuck in the gills.

^^You may have just solved mine. My water seems to be fine.. Maybe its the drift wood doing something or the algea on it?

My PH and the rest are always good. and if not i do a water change and they are good after.

·
Registered
277 Posts

Good info....Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts