1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Spilos is your best shot!

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
InSinUAsian is currently schooling some gold spilos in a very large tank. I suggest he either get in on this thread or you message him as he is currently schooling.

I too am aware that geryis can school wuite successfully but they are expensive!

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Yep, spilos are your best bet. The good thing is they are wonderful fish while still remaining relatively cheap. Geryi are another serra that has been schooled, but they are a but more expensive. To give you an idea a 3 inch spilo will run you less then $30 but a 3 inch geryi will run you about $120. These are just estimate prices, but you get the picture. I sent you a pm cypher regarding the little "HOW TO" on schooling spilos that I posted a while back. There is alot of good info there. If you, or anyone else needs info just pm me or post your questions. One thing I noticed when I started out schooling spilos is there is not alot of info on other people's experience. I hope to change that. SO ask away...

~Dj

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
The Shoal of 5 Irritans was in a 90gallon. It was made possible by the set-up of the tank, which is probably the most critical part sucess, although tank size is a big factor. In both the Geryi tank and the Irritans tank there were large pieces of driftwood which covered most of the tank. This prevented chasing an blocked line of sight which can lead to unpleasant encounters. A good way to increase your chance of sucess is to purchase to very high end powerheads. Place these facing each other but in opposite corners of the tank. This setup creates a circular current flow. When the alpha P attempts to chase his minions they will have easy escape routs. All they have to do is swim across the tank and they can move quickly in a different direction. I have seen it in action with some very very aggressive irritans, These suckers looked and acted like they wanted to bite eachothers heads off, yet they had minimal damage. This should work for Spilos as well.

·
Registered
664 Posts
A school of spilos would work out great. At Big Al's they have a tank with about 30 spilos and they're awsome. I was lucky enough one time to go at the right time and I got to see them eat. It was awsome
There were so many mouths chomping at that meat.(Drooooooooool)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.