Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
well one advantage is all the waste stays on the top of the sand bed and is easy to siphon it out. one disadvantage is that it can go in the filter. also home depot is an awesome place to get sand from. you should get quikrete play sand. its about 5 bucks for 50 lbs

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
there is noway to really keep it from entering the filter I mean you could put some type of sponge on the input of the filter but this may slow down the gph. But I just keep the inputs at about center of the tank or a little higher the higher up the less sand you will suck up and if your doing cleaning of the sand you always want to turn off the filter cause you will be throwing up alot of sand during cleaning.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi
I changed from gravel to sand because it looks much nicer(to me).Lot´s of people seem to have a problem when cleaning it up and dirty looking tanks. That is not my problem at all, for me it´s much easier to clean than gravel. Sand is sow smooth and flat that all the left-overs stay on top and due to the high preassure of my filter´s out-take(flute looking thing with holes) it all ends up on one side of the tank in a little wrap(due to current effect), making it very easy and simple to syphon,only takes a few seconds.I was very surprised when I saw that, and really happy with my settup.
Also put the intake high enough sow that sand doesn´t get in and put some wood,rock, or plant under it.
I´m not getting gravel anymore really like sand much better. Saludos

·
Frontosa King
9,990 Posts
Having trouble really thinking of any advantages... as to where to get some from, cheapest would be Home Depot.
it is safe to do this even if you clean it well
[/quote]

yeah get the home depot play sand its cheap just rinse it well to remove all the dust.

also the advantages i can see is no place for sh*t and uneatten food to build up and cause ammonia blooms. also makes cleaning the poop and un eatten food easier because it will all be on top of the sand rather then in the gravel. sand looks nicer IMO and also is easier to work with

disadvantage of sand take some rinsing to prepare(more then gravel) and also if the piranha spook and stir up the sand and it goes into the filter then it can jam up your impeller and stop your filter or burn it out if stopped long enough. just dont keep the filteration tube low neat the sand.

home depot play sand or else any pool supply store and get pool filter sand(silica) usually is white.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
IMO sand is a pain in the ass...It may look nice but I prefere gravel ir small crush gravel...

I have experiented with sand before..If fucked up my filters due to sand getting inside the impeller and making mad noice...Cleaning is a kick in the nuts too...

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Sand looks really nice IMO, but the thing is, maintenance. I know it's easy to clean the top of the sand with all the sh*t and leftovers because its easy to see and it's not lodged between gravel. But what I am talking about is the dark layer that forms over time underneath the surface and that could ruin the beauty of your tank. You'd have to periodically disturb your sand bed, depending on how deep it is, maybe to an inch or less.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.