Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to use sand for substrate in my new tank. Home Depot has playground sand for very cheap ($2.50 for 50 lbs.!!).. All I saw was white..I think this will look pretty good. However I was wondering if anyone has used black sand..If their is such a thing, I bet it would look good too..Black background, black substrate.

Anybody have a pic of a tank with black sand?

ttldnial

·
Registered
219 Posts
that would look sweet

I know it exists, i saw some pictures in our photo album of us waaay back in the day on some black sand beach, i think it was cancun or something.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
I have seen pics of tanks with black sand, however I dont think that you can get black sand as easily as regular sand. I think the black stuff is premium sand that you buy at certain LFSs for a premium price tag. I looked for it for a little while, then gave up and settled for the $3 50lbs bag sand. Much easier on the pocket.

~Dj

·
Registered
599 Posts
yea i have black sand in my tank i put 5 bags of it in my 75 gallon looks awsome brings out the color good too but it also costed $20 a bag but i would do it again if i had to i love it u can get it from doctor foster smith its like moon sand or somthing like that i think

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
mbraun15 said:
u can get it from doctor foster smith its like moon sand or somthing like that i think
Im sure shipipng on something like that will be crazy. Im sure its worth it though.

~Dj

·
~ATLANTA BRAVES~
18,086 Posts
mbraun15 said:
yea i have black sand in my tank i put 5 bags of it in my 75 gallon looks awsome brings out the color good too but it also costed $20 a bag but i would do it again if i had to i love it u can get it from doctor foster smith its like moon sand or somthing like that i think
could you post a pic of your tank with the black sand? i have never seen a tank with it before.

·
Skankzilla
18,320 Posts
i also have a tank with black sand. $19.99 at petsmart for like 10lbs i believe (not positive because i got it over 2 months ago). i said well i'll just use my black gravel on bottom and cover it with the sand. personally i wouldnt get the sand. its a hassle to take care of. plus gettin in the filter sometimes (its alittle bit, but you can tell it gets sucked up). my reds freak out and all the sand floats up, then some of it gets sucked up by the filter. the gravel cleaning sucks right now b.c i dont have that part that allows to vacuum sand without it getting sucked up by the syphon. so pretty much everytime i change water, i see the sand and my money go down the toilet. trust me it looks and looked really kool with the black sand. but if you want it to look cool, you're gonna have to work harder to take care of the tank and work harder at your job just to pay for it.

mine was some island sand or taithan or whatever. i'll try to find the name of it for you

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Black sand looks very cool. But it is a pain to take care of, It shows every piece of crap. And plants will not live in it. As b_ack stated it gets in all your filters. Plus i dont think you want that fake (silicone) sand in there with your fish. Just try crushed volcanic gravel. Now that stuff is sweet. It still will show crap. But it cleans alot better and keeps its color. The only drawback is that it's expensive.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Tahitian Moon black sand by Carib sea or something like that. i toasted a penguin 330 impeller with black sand. i think it sucks. when i move my tank i'm throwing 50 lbs of black gravel over this sh*t. its okay if your fish are too small to kick it up, but once they get big enough, its all over. plus plastic plants aren't anchored too well.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
There is black sand but I am pretty sure it is rather exspensive, because around here you don't see it often. Either one would look good, sand is good for the plants as well.

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
Hi guys, im back ...
I am going to use sand. Why you ask? Well i got a tank, 4ftx8ft and i dont think i can afford to put nice rock in it. Thats like 800 bucks of rock, and i dont feel like spending that kind of money for rock.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Bob - That was the same reason I went with sand. Even in my 180, rock would have been alot. Sand for the whole thing (200lbs) only cost me 10 bucks.

~Dj

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
bobme said:
Hi guys, im back ...
I am going to use sand. Why you ask? Well i got a tank, 4ftx8ft and i dont think i can afford to put nice rock in it. Thats like 800 bucks of rock, and i dont feel like spending that kind of money for rock.
welcome back, and thats a sweet tank... 4 feet wide and 8 feet long... whats the height... nice size tank...

what is going in there?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts