Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in some of the pictures i see people using sand in there tanks...... is there any reason why sand is better than rocks?? i like the looks of sand a lot better, but does it get stirred up easy?? is there a special kind of sand i should use?? thanks..........

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
After the first month the sand will settle and its no longer a problem, but i use natural gravel in some areas, for example of a pot on its side with gravel spilling out into a high traffic area of the tank. I think the mix is the best way to go, I used Southdown play sand from Home Depot, which is supposed to be a good on but does raise ph a little bit. The tank is steady at 7 now though so it seems to be fine. Just be sure to rinse the sand out before putting in the tank.. or its a pain in the ass.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,117 Posts
The only thing with sand is that you have to worry about small amounts getting sucked up during water changes. I have sand in my tank, and notice about a table spoon on sand makes it out of my tank. Thats not really that much, however, over time if you aren't careful it can clog a drain pipe. Just something to think about, but not really any HUGE concern.

~Dj

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.