Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in some of the pictures i see people using sand in there tanks...... is there any reason why sand is better than rocks?? i like the looks of sand a lot better, but does it get stirred up easy?? is there a special kind of sand i should use?? thanks..........

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
After the first month the sand will settle and its no longer a problem, but i use natural gravel in some areas, for example of a pot on its side with gravel spilling out into a high traffic area of the tank. I think the mix is the best way to go, I used Southdown play sand from Home Depot, which is supposed to be a good on but does raise ph a little bit. The tank is steady at 7 now though so it seems to be fine. Just be sure to rinse the sand out before putting in the tank.. or its a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so use like half and half??? should i put some rocks under the sand too??? is there any advantages of sand???

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
go with sand, it will make smaller scratches if it does so they wont be as noticeable, my gravel has ruined my glass tank

with sand the poo doesnt sink in either so cleanings are easier

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
The only thing with sand is that you have to worry about small amounts getting sucked up during water changes. I have sand in my tank, and notice about a table spoon on sand makes it out of my tank. Thats not really that much, however, over time if you aren't careful it can clog a drain pipe. Just something to think about, but not really any HUGE concern.

~Dj

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Aside from what Asinuation said, sand woulds also be a bitch preparing and show more crap in the bottom of your tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts