Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok... i really want to put sand in my new tank but i only have AC power filters. Would sand get caught in those filters and ruin them?? So would it be safe have sand and ACpower filters? also how would you go about cleaning sand? if i used a gravel vac, wouldnt it suck the sand up with it? is there another type of vacuum like a sand vac??
thanks doods

· Registered
1,900 Posts
i have black sand in two of my tanks and white sand in my other tank. i dont have my ac filter tube down as far as i normally would if i had gravel. as for cleaning i have a gravel vac (python to be exact) and i get the suction going and just move the vac above the the sand about an inch or so just enouhg to pick up the crap and food but not the sand. u will end up picking up some sand but i just put the sand that ends up in the sink when i am done. i think that it is easier to clean and better looking than gravel. if u have any questions about it pm me. also if u r wondering how to put the sand in there is a pinned thread that is how i changed from gravel to sand.

· Registered
10,778 Posts
Puttin sand in the sink isnt the best of ideas...it would probably hurt your plumbing system. Gravel vac cleans sand just fine.

Before cleaning a tank with sand i would suggest turning your filters off...

When I clean my tank, after I vacuum all the sand-- I like to stir up the sand to release bacteria, to help prevent bacteria bloom. Also it helps get tiny bits of food or waste that were hiding under the sand floating around. After I stir up the sand and it settles a little (about a minute later), I skim the water with my wand for a while, while having the filters on high.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.