Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How easy is it to have a sand bottom tank? Will I have to replace the sand each time I do a water change because some sand will get sucked up the siphon? Is there a certain kind of sand i have to get or can I just get the kind you can get at the store that is made for little kids sandboxes?

·
Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
18,670 Posts
during water cdhanges onlt about 1 tablespoon is sucked up
and any sand box sand is okay as long as u clean it very good

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
I have a 180 that has a sand bottom. I use a python type gravel cleaner when I do my weekly water changes. I only loose about a tablespoon of sand a week. No big deal when I have about 200 lbs of sand in there. The only thing that I do different as far as technique is that I dont stab the sand completely. I only stab the sand about an inch deep as the "junk" usually settles near the top of directly on top of it. If you use the python and stab the sand too deep, you will suck up ALOT of sand that will find its way out of the tank.

~Dj

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
I have found cleaning the sand pretty damn challenging. Either I suck up too much sand or cant get enough suction to get the waste up. I use my python for water changes but use a standard syphon to get the larger waste out. I typically end up with a few cups of sand in my bucket but I figure that is just the smaller particles as my sand bottom is fairly new. Also I only have to do this on a 55g....i would think my technique would be pretty damn challenging for anything above a 55g.

·
Registered
413 Posts
i have a 75 gal that has sand in it, imo it is easier to clean than gravel but it gets annoying when the sand gets stirred up

1 - 7 of 7 Posts