Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Good luck keeping it out of your filter. It does look great though.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
just wait till he turns 10 inches and decides to attack his shadow... sand storm! I have had it happen many times now, you may want to add some gravel to the mix as they grow looks great though!

·
Registered
564 Posts
That looks great! Keep us updated on how the maintenance is.

I'd throw a few rocks in there to mix it up if I were you. You know, make it look more natural.

Great job!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd like to put some slate rock I have, but there're good size and I'm worried about the weight issue. I've already got 100 lbs of sand in there, and it's only a little 75gl tank.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
i think that sand does look hella cool, but it seems too much work in the long run. as far as filters and powerheads go. just my opinion though. (ive never had sand in any of my tanks)

·
Registered
879 Posts
Looks good! I've got a 75 with about 150 pounds of sand and about 70 pounds of rock and driftwood and I've had no problems. I've never had any sand get into my filter and I've had some rowdy fish in there. IMO sand looks 100% better than gravel, it's also way cheaper.

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
Cool you even have shrimp in there

·
Registered
60 Posts
ive got black sand in my tank.. looks great! i love it.

ill post some pics eventually. i have white flat limestone rocks and some live plants too.. the combo looks really good imo.

·
Skankzilla
18,320 Posts
blacksand is about $20 for 20 lbs at petsmart. or you can go online and get it from bigals i think for $12.99 for 20lbs.... but then you have extra weight for shipping charges. it looks awesome. i have it in my tank, but my p's are 6+ so they do create a sandstorm...

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have ventured into a sand/gravel mix. I orginally had sand in the bottom of a tank for cycling, well got a very active rhom and wanted to put gravel in there so I got natural colored gravel and poured it right on top of the gravel. My plants have killer root depth and it looks great as well as it gives your substrate a more natural layered ground look.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts