Piranhas Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
DonH said:
There are many "Rule of Thumb" guidelines for how much salt to add. Either, 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons, 1 tbsp/10 gallons, etc... If this has worked for you in the past, fine. I have always dosed my tanks at 0.3% (3 tsp/gallon) when needed, which is considerably higher than many suggest. Only exception to this rule is for nitrite poisoning where a teaspoon of salt will treat over 300 gallons of water. Many believe that the constant use of salt in low dosages is the reason why we are having problems with salt resistant parasites. And as a result, some parasitic infestations need to double the dosage to 0.6% to see any significant improvement.

My recommended dosage, even for ich, is 0.3% (which is a TOTAL of 2.5 lbs/100 gallons or 3 tsp/US gallon). The amount of salt added should be done in 3 equal increments over 3 days and left in the system for 2 weeks (that's 1 tsp per gallon per day for 3 days), in which time, the salt should be taken out through water changes. ALWAYS pre-dissolve the salt before introducing it to your tank! Measure out the desired amount of salt, add aquarium water to a bucket or cup (I use a 44 oz plastic "Big Gulp" cup) and stir like crazy until the salt dissolves. Slowly pour the salt solution into the tank and make sure you are not pouring it on top of your fish. I prefer to pour the solution in the path of a powerhead to help distribute it throughout the tank. A "blast" of concentrated salt solution may cause severe burns to your fish. Therefore, NEVER add salt directly to your tank.
What's the exact amount of salt in tablespoons shouldI put in a 60 galtank?

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Dunno it in gallons but.
I put 1 teaspoon for aprox 40/50 LITERS.

So i think it something like 1teaspoon for 10 gallons (correct me if im wrong).

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Little Waffen said:
What's the exact amount of salt in tablespoons shouldI put in a 60 galtank?
Hey man, since no one responded: I too have a 60 gallon and i put 1 table spoon a day for 3 days and monitor them.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I just wanted to add how I administer salt to my tank.. If your running canister filters the best way i have found to add salt is to fill a glass bottle or beer bottle with salt and drop it in with the head of the bottle under a power head intake. This way it takes about 3-4 days to fully disolve and its spread around the tank as it dissolves.

(I use coarse salt)

·
Registered
24,433 Posts
Great pinned topic regarding a hugely misunderstood topic.

To add some biology to this, know that there are primary division and secondary division freshwater fishes. This largely affects who can tolerate more or less salt.
Cichlids are secondary division so they can tolerate a lot more salt than a primary division freshwater fish (such as catfish). Exceptions apply as always (some cichlids really don't like salt, there are a couple of saltwater catfish! ).

·
[]D [] []\/[] []D [] []\[] "
4,205 Posts
Just read this for the first time. Great topic to have pinned for reference.

·
Guinness eyes
7,136 Posts
It shouldn't.
I'm sure if you listed the exact species someone like DippyEggs may be able to help with that question.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Exselent post. I actualy found this post wile on a diferent site. They had a link to it

21 - 40 of 40 Posts