Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For months i have thought about what would happen if a salt water fish was put into a fresh water Piranha tank.. How long would it live without dying from not being in Salt water? Would it effect the Piranha(s)? would it fire up the Water baddly? and what not

I have been tempted to post this but was kind of shy for some odd reason.

I wouldnt do it but think it would be cool to read what would happen if anyone knows?

·
Registered
47 Posts
My guess is osmosis would kill it within minutes. At least if it's a pure salt water fish. The fish would have to fight hard to resist the osmotic preassure, to avoid getting pumped full of water. Don't think it would affect your water much though.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
i agree...the salt would be there to to help him survive...w/o any salt id say within 5 min he'll be all stressed...then within another 10 hes toast..i wouldnt let the p eat him either...just because if you p ate him, then he'd be eating all the things from the salt water would get into your p, and i dont think that would be too great

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
Some fish are able to withstand extended exposure to both.
Take the Salmon for example, making long runs up rivers.

It would not hurt your piranhas to intruduce a saltwater fish into it's environment.
I'm sure they will enjoy the tasty treat.

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
Like everyone else said, it's hard to say, but the fish would probably not survive very long in freshwater.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Some fish are able to withstand extended exposure to both.
Take the Salmon for example, making long runs up rivers.
Yes but this is just because Salmons are not solely adapted to marine environment. Yet we know that some big lakes, like Lake Saimaa in Finland has a Salmo salar population (a relic from last Ice Age).

Also brackish water fishes do withstand freshwater very well. I have kept Perch (Perca fluvialtilis) and Pike (Esox lucius) in freshwater Aquarium.

True marine high seas fishes probably would have serious problems quite soon, within few weeks.

Harry

·
Registered
175 Posts
Even with Species of fish that can tolerate a wide range of salinity levels, the abrubt change from full marine to fresh would kill all but the hardiest of fish within minutes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Also brackish water fishes do withstand freshwater very well. I have kept Perch (Perca fluvialtilis) and Pike (Esox lucius) in freshwater Aquarium.
Actually, both of them are freshwater fish. But they are able to survive in surprisingly salt water, so you often find them in brackish environments. Their main habitat is pure fresh water, at least here in Norway.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
True marine fishes (tangs, clown fishes, etc) wont survive long. When I was I kid, I actually tossed in a clown fish into a freshwater tank. The thing lasted only about 10 mins & then it was a floater.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts