Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some new P's yeaterday from LHS, big 5-6" RBPs (since that is what is already in the tank.)
The larger one i got, got beat up in the container on the way home, fins are chomped a little and he got a bite on his belly (not that bad though) . I thought that i might treat with salt, and i read that people use about 1 tablespoon/5Gallons or so, that seems like alot, is this what is recommended???????

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
yes 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons, or you could go with 1 teaspoon per 3 gallons, both are suitable.
I would personally reccomend that you usually have salt in your tank, to help prevent desiese and also help heal those nips and grazes that happen with piranhas so often.
Also you could create a "salt bath" for the affected fish, put them in for up to 15 mins or until they show signs of stress.
The dosage for a salt bath is 2 teaspoons per 1/2 gallon.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
yes that is waht is reccomended; I would also reccomend adding some Melafix as well. This product works great and causes no affects in my experience

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
SnoChiclid, you recommended MelaFix when I asked adn was curious if you used it for the recommended 7 days on the bottle. I assume you took out your carbon when using it. Anyway, so far so good, Mickey's fins are repairing quite nicely and wanted to thank you for recommending it.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
i have used melafix on my p,s once after a big fight and it worked ok no adverse affects the salt thing is good also

1 - 5 of 5 Posts