Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i was reading a post in europe section and a seller mentioned an "El Dorado" or "Salminus Maxil" i was just wondering if anyone had any pics of this fish because i have never seen anyone talk about one on this forum so far.
thx
silly

·
tap or snap
11,899 Posts
this belongs in the tankbuster forum.

the scientific name is Salminus maxillosus aka "dorado"

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found one of those in my local fish shop a few weeks ago, he'd come in by mistake and was only an inch long, so I couldn't resist... Since then he's grown an inch a week and is now about six inches!! Fortunately i've got a fairly big tank so he'll be fine for a while yet, but I know he's going to be a monster, so sadly I won't have him for ever..
But it's going to be fun while it lasts, I don't think i've ever seen a more relentless predator, and he's simply stunning to look at..
Anyway, i've been looking for information about the fish for ages online, and can't find anything that's not about fly fishing holidays in Argentina! Bah! So at the moment it seems like i'm the only person who has one in a tank, and i'm sure that can't be true.. If anyone can tell me different i'd be pleased, if not, I might start getting a little worried! But if anyone has any Salminus stories to tell, i'd be pleased to hear them.
I'll try and get some pictures of him if anyone is interested..

·
Registered
463 Posts
I am very interested! I want one, Shark aquarium has 9 inch ones, i really want to start with a smaller one since i only have a 55g right now

·
tap or snap
11,899 Posts
RRice said:
I am very interested! I want one, Shark aquarium has 9 inch ones, i really want to start with a smaller one since i only have a 55g right now
[snapback]1065521[/snapback]​
you aren't properly equipped for one. unless you have a pond ready for it to go in after a short while, don't buy one, period.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
RRice said:
[snapback]1065521[/snapback]​
Why don't you first buy the bigger tank and than the big fish. Imo that's the right way to do it. A dorado will outgrow a 55 in no time

1 - 9 of 9 Posts