Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as i noted in feeding i gave my p's some bait fish yesterday, and they were acting crazy today. Well i had just fed them their kril and they all ate a lot, when i was reading thru the forums here and heard a lot of water being pushed around in the tank and looked up to see my biggest 4 going crazy, then i saw a small shiney object being tossed around the tank. I ran up to see what they found and they had gotten to "small fry" the runt of my tank that they had damaged earlier last month and was almost comlpetely healed. I pulled him out and put him in the hospital tank with some melefix. He had only lost his tail down to the bone unfortunaltly. I checked on him every five mins but he must have stressed out and he died in between one of my five min intervals of checking on him,
He was my favorite one and had done sooo much to keep him happy and alive.
He died at 1.5" when the others were almost 4". They were all the same size when i gotten them and thats how he got the name cause he never grew. I had done a lot including surgery every two days to re open his anus so he could relive himself as his body grew back from the last attack. Well i guess they were cleaning house and had enough of his aggressive behaivour as he was my most aggresive P. He fought for about an hour and a half after the attack. But sadly lost the fight. I knew it would prob happen one day but wasn't expecting it so soon. He is the first fish in the 7 years of keeping fish that didn't die of age. the other 4 keep looking for him to play and seem to miss having him in hte tank. Well in this worl survival is of the fitest. Thought you all might want to know who was following my updates on his condition from the previous posts on him in injured fish section. my 4 remaining are acting weird, swiming sideways by the rocks on their sides everynow and then. But i can't figure out why? I will moniter them tomorrow after work.

·
Registered
253 Posts
sorry bout that man i dont know about ur tank but the last poster had 5 3.5 inch piranhas in a 55 gallon and thats just terrible even red bellies need more room than that or they will fight sorry bout ur lose..feel better

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
firepisser8104 said:
I had done a lot including surgery every two days to re open his anus so he could relive himself as his body grew back from the last attack. Well i guess they were cleaning house and had enough of his aggressive behaivour as he was my most aggresive P. He fought for about an hour and a half after the attack.
[snapback]827646[/snapback]​
Im not sure if the rest of the members caught this but could you elaborate on this "surgery every two days to re open his anus"?

One more question if it was the runt and was always getting attacked why didnt you place it in a hospital tank and isolate it from the rest until they were of equal size. Thats a huge size difference!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The back half of his belly was bitten off, when the tissue was regrowing he was getting really fat and pukeing up his meals, so when i took him out i could see where his "anus" opening should be and it was closed over. So i took a diesecting kit i had laying around and took the tip of the sterylized scalpal and found were the whole should be ( could tell cause you could see the sh*t and was no where for it to go. I took the end of the scalpal and carefully made a slit till i could actually see his poop able to come out, when i put him back in the tank he was shitting little rocks from being backed up so much. Only prob was the whole kept closing so i had to reopen it every other day till it finally stayed a whole and he could poop normally and stoped regurgitating his food. I did have him in a hospital tank for a bit but he was too unhappy and stressed out more, i put him back in the tank and he was happy and actually did more thatn just sit at the bottom. He would swim with the others play in the current from the power heads, and catch all the other P's food for them, Seriously they would eat till he had caught them or nipped all of the fins and slowed the feeders down. It was weird. After he died last night from the attack i put him in the freezer so i can take pictures of him to show you his condition and the scars from before, since he is dead i will take pictures explaining how i did the "surgery" so you all can see what i mean better. Hope that helped.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. Glad to see that you were observant. I dont think I would have attempted surgery since I have no experience in that area and would do more harm than good. Sorry for the loss.

firepisser8104 said:
The back half of his belly was bitten off, when the tissue was regrowing he was getting really fat and pukeing up his meals, so when i took him out i could see where his "anus" opening should be and it was closed over. So i took a diesecting kit i had laying around and took the tip of the sterylized scalpal and found were the whole should be ( could tell cause you could see the sh*t and was no where for it to go. I took the end of the scalpal and carefully made a slit till i could actually see his poop able to come out, when i put him back in the tank he was shitting little rocks from being backed up so much. Only prob was the whole kept closing so i had to reopen it every other day till it finally stayed a whole and he could poop normally and stoped regurgitating his food. I did have him in a hospital tank for a bit but he was too unhappy and stressed out more, i put him back in the tank and he was happy and actually did more thatn just sit at the bottom. He would swim with the others play in the current from the power heads, and catch all the other P's food for them, Seriously they would eat till he had caught them or nipped all of the fins and slowed the feeders down. It was weird. After he died last night from the attack i put him in the freezer so i can take pictures of him to show you his condition and the scars from before, since he is dead i will take pictures explaining how i did the "surgery" so you all can see what i mean better. Hope that helped.
[snapback]828793[/snapback]​

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK i took him out
and got out the camera ( he was more photogenic today LOL) anyways i have a few pics so i will label them as i go along for you. they are big i will try to put a load warning up if i can.

View attachment 43111
1. My biggest RBP at 4.3"

View attachment 43112
2. Side view of "small fry" see the size difference!!

View attachment 43114
3. This is a pic of the last part healing up notice where the anus hole now is, that kept healing over

View attachment 43115
4. Take the tip of the blade and kinda poke open the hole and sounds sick but twist it a little till you can visually see the poop with your eye

View attachment 43117
This is a pic of the first attack, note the major damage!! I thought i was gonna loose him then!!

View attachment 43119
5. As you can see in black pen (marking first attack) how well he recovered and the new damage by this attack

View attachment 43121
6. Not a bad set of chompers for only 1.7" huh?

I hope these pics helps anyone with a damaged P and helps you realize that they can recover from major damage and can die from just a minor attack too. I have more pics if needed to help. PM me

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.