Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
For those of you interested in this topic, I've been updating the species information for this fish.

S. spilopleura CF.

Later during the month I will be adding additional supporting data including some collection information and where this fish is presently.

Enjoy.........don't forget its not complete yet, but comments are welcome.

PS: The ruby reds shown are being removed, those are an error on my part.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Very good info on the cf. Much better then the usual "I got d*cked when I thought I was getting a rhom!" threads on the cf. LoL

~Dj

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
It will be good to see some new light shed on the clouded spilopleura complex.

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
Frank, Now I am totally confused,,, What about all the references to spilopleura having a clear hyline caudal border? (or am I confused)?

george

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
that clears a lot up for me.
as i have never owned a spilo i have not taken that much interest in them but i am always willing to learn.
i actually think i may take some time out and go through your site in full as i have only read the bits i needed info on.
dixon

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SharkAquarium Posted on Jul 18 2003, 10:21 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frank, Now I am totally confused,,, What about all the references to spilopleura having a clear hyline caudal border? (or am I confused)?

george
Hi George:

S. spilopleura page is next to be worked on and that should clear it for you.

The confusion actually rests on the fact that the CF are very close to meristic counts (body skeletal attributes) to the actual S. spilopleura. Until a complete comparison is done between; S. spilopleura (proper), S. spilopleura CF, S. medinai, S. rhombeus, and S. maculatus these CF fish are going to remain out there. I have essential reports on DNA on these CF, however, what remains to be determined by me is regards to the report itself. Are they writing about these species? Or are they writing about the S. spilopleura (proper) that has a subterminal to near terminal band which brings us to S. maculatus? That is the question I'm hoping to get an intelligible answer on that I can share with you all.

Off the record, these CF that I am discussing look nothing like the proper S. spilopleura. I remain somewhat convinced these may become vario-types of S. medinai or another name that I'm not ready to divulge just yet. But I can't say that I'm right or that I'm wrong nor do I recommend using that name (S. medinai) as many have done in the past for this peru fish, because no actual work has been done on it. What remains is a vague name that I discovered that might pertain to this fish and some ichthyologists considerered a misspelling. This is basically investigative work and I'm hot on the tail of this critter. This other name might not even be valid for this fish and could in the end prove to be an error. But I'm looking

So please be patient. I'll work on the spilopleura page later today and should get you out of the confusion somewhat. The only problem fish is Jegu S. maculatus. I'm still not fully convinced it is a distinctive fish and I'm going to dig deeper on that one since DNA has entered the picture.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As I stated here:

hastatus Posted on Jul 18 2003, 04:19 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For those of you interested in this topic, I've been updating the species information for this fish.

S. spilopleura CF.

Later during the month I will be adding additional supporting data including some collection information and where this fish is presently.

Enjoy.........don't forget its not complete yet, but comments are welcome.

PS: The ruby reds shown are being removed, those are an error on my part.
I was advised of a wording situation on this page and while re-reading it discovered a few typos as well. Those are now fixed.

I remember George telling about this coined name; Ruby red. I always like that name to bad it wasn't used for these other types. Their throats are bloody red too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.