Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it true that the belief that these are 2 different species inaccurate? and that may may appear shorter or taller due to origin?

and that a s. rhombeus is the "True Black Piranha"?

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Serrasalmus Rhombeus used to be classified as S. Niger in the early ages of piranha research (and some people unfortunately continue to use this name, only adding to the confusion).
By now, the name S. Niger is no longer valid.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what i thought.

i was just verifying it, thanks

i went to that website that B.Collins posted about Piranha Exotica and there they had s. rhoms and s.****** under 2 different species list. the ****** were way more expensive and labeled as "true black piranha. the rhom was only labeled as "black piranha".

thanks for reinforcing what i thought to begin with. (i wont be confused again)

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Judazzz said:
Serrasalmus Rhombeus used to be classified as S. Niger in the early ages of piranha research (and some people unfortunately continue to use this name, only adding to the confusion).
Very true.. alot of specified names were mostly incorporated into one specified specie through scientific research. Alot of books still have mis-information till today which has Gibbus, Niger, and White piranha all classified different species.

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
Niger, Gibbus, High back, Diamond, etc are all just the same fish but with a different body shape and locality. IE: Green, Purple Natts. Althought the name S. Niger is not a real fish people use it to get more money because it sound so exotic and rare. But the truth is, they are all the same! Dont be fooled.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Judazzz said:
This is your answer!

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
Mr. Hannibal said:
Judazzz said:
This is your answer!
ditto

1 - 8 of 8 Posts