Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Mac today and wanted to know if anyone else owns any and if I can get some more info on them?I was also wondering how are they classified?Are they a varient of Spilo?They seem much thicker in body shape than a Spilo almost as thick as most Pygo's but has a body shape very similar to S. Spilo?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hey Olson, Did you pick it up in Longmont? Do you know anywhere in CO that has p's? I know of a few places. Let me know if you want to split those caribe.

·
Registered
26 Posts
yep he got it in longmont from me.i have 4 more golds for sale for 40$ each 6-7''if you want some let me know quick cause they will be gone soon

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Petzl88 said:
Hey Olson, Did you pick it up in Longmont? Do you know anywhere in CO that has p's? I know of a few places. Let me know if you want to split those caribe.
I am trying to get the tank space for those Caribe,I sent you a PM?did you get it?

Frank thanks for the info...sorry I never thought to look at your site...thanks again

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Frank I have also heard these called Spilo. CF?what does that mean?there seems to be a bit of arguement on what we should call these Piranha.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Olson Posted on Apr 13 2003, 06:01 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frank I have also heard these called Spilo. CF?what does that mean?there seems to be a bit of arguement on what we should call these Piranha.
CF = complex form meaning they are undiagnosed ( no description made on them) because their morphology is to close to S. spilopleura to be considered distinctive. Keep in mind we are talking about internal as much as external characteristics besides some lessor characters (ie; caudal fin band and coloration). I'm sure you have seen these called S. medinai, but these are not the true Venezuelan S. medinai which have yellow eyes. The only real argument among hobbyists is that they don't understand the complexities of placing a scientific name on a fish and often times its because they overhead a statement. For example; S. spilopleura CF is similar appearing to S. medinai. Translation: It may look the same in someways but is not the same.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He has been really beat on and only in the tank for a few hours when I took this pic...I didn't try for the best shots cause I didn't want to add anymore stress to the dude...I have added some salt and turned up my temp to heal up the healin proccses.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts