Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend asked me what a Gibbus was last night,I said I thought it was a outdated name for a Gold Spilo similar to how the name S. Niger was used.Now I am not so sure of myself been lookin up info today and kind find nothin on it.So my question to all of you is "What is a S. Gibbus?

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
Olson said:
dammit,I was wrong
Your close. It's in some older publishings as gibbus.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
S. niger=S. rhombeus!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yes, I've seen a photo of a guy in a s.a. village holding one up. (s.niger that is) same body type as a s. natt, but jet black everywhere.... Im pretty sure the photo was not doctored seeing as how it was taken on site. Looked real enough to me...

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Jonas said:
Yes, I've seen a photo of a guy in a s.a. village holding one up. (s.niger that is) same body type as a s. natt, but jet black everywhere.... Im pretty sure the photo was not doctored seeing as how it was taken on site. Looked real enough to me...
*sigh* There is no S. niger. The fish you are referring to is likely either a nattereri or cariba. They turn dark during breeding and also darken as they grow older. The photo may not have been doctored, but it wouldn't matter because the fish does not exist.

Try this link.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts