Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Photographic Genius
3,492 Posts
Morphs are really just names given to Dragons that are selectively bred for specific color traits, unless you get into genetic traits. They're all the same species. Some breeders will slap a name onto anything to make it more desirable, not even really knowing what they're selling. Others will buy a bunch of Dragons from one breeder's lines and in effect "steal" the line by claiming it as their own and naming it something else. The Dragons in the first two pictures are some of my high reds that I will be working with to develop a nice red line. Their parents were purchased as "Sandfire/Golds," a line that is highly variable in color. I handpick my breeders that have the traits I want to bring out and then selectively breed for those traits. In the case of the Dragons shown above, I'm looking for super reds. I haven't come up with a name to call my line yet, but that step is down the road a bit when I have enough generations under my belt mixed with enough different blood to call it my own. Here's a couple better pics of some of the reds I'll be working with in the spring:

The bottom Dragon is a marketed Leucistic morph. I use the term "marketed" because there is no such thing as a true Leucistic Bearded Dragon. Leucism is a recessive genetic trait that obliterates all color and pattern, resulting in a pure white animal with black or blue eyes. Marketed Leucistics are pure hypomelanistic morphs with clear nails that are selectively bred for white or near white coloration. Hypomelanism is a recessive genetic trait that results in a reduction of melanin, the pigment that leads to black coloration. Marketed Leucistics along with other "true" hypomelanistic Dragons have no visible black coloration. If you look on my guy you won't see black anywhere, and where there is typically black found on a Dragon, you will see lavendar or blue instead. Clear toenails is another recessive genetic trait that seems to go hand in hand with extreme forms of hypomelanism.

I don't really like to reveal my "secrets," lol, but I'll say that I'm looking to develop three distinct lines all with using the hypomelanistic clear-nailed genetic trait. Of course, I'll need a lot more Dragons than what I have now, as unrelated as possible, and lots of time to do it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.