Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't feed live feeders because of parasites ect. But what kind of fish are rosy reds? I don't think they are a carp are they?

·
Cannonfruit!!!1!!1!11!
12,264 Posts
They are somehow related to at least one of the Pimephales minnows...but they are "carp" (Cyprinids) nonetheless and should be avoided as feeders.

·
Cannonfruit!!!1!!1!11!
12,264 Posts
If by typical, you mean he's dead on, you're right. They are minnows. Minnows or carp can be applied to all of Cyprinidae...and, even if the usage of minnow is restricted to certain North American Cyprinids, Pimephales would be included.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
They are also known to carry Thiaminase (growth inhibiting hormone) so you would want to stay away from them because of that as well.

·
Cannonfruit!!!1!!1!11!
12,264 Posts
That is why I said "they are "carp" (Cyprinidae) and should be avoided as feeders"...I suppose I should have thrown in a "thus" or "thusly"...but there's another issue at hand...Rosies are often overcrowded beyond belief in barely-filtered aquaria that are rife with diseases. If you do wish to feed them to your Ps (knowing they had Thiaminase and had been kept in squalor), quarantining for a month is probably the safest thing you can do.

BTW, if you want to know more about them, Google "ChilDawg" and "Rosy Red Minnow hybrid" (neither in quotes) and see what pops up.

·
Cannonfruit!!!1!!1!11!
12,264 Posts
If you do the search mentioned here or read above, you'll see that they are minnows (but carp as well).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts