Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey to all out in saltwater land. So i got my first tank about 6 months ago. 75gal with
3 rb's which are doing great. The thing is everytime i go into my lfs i see all the saltwater stuff and i'm hooked now. So i picked up a 24 gal aquapod. I put in 20lbs of the carib sea argig alive sand along with 10 lbs of live rock which is covered in all kinds of alage. My concern is about the stock filter that comes with it. The pump seems kinda slow. Would i benefit from switching it with say an ac 70 powerhead? Also i've heard mixed things about the filter pads, ceramic rings and bio balls that come with it. Are they worth keeping in there or are they just big nitrate traps. Some people say leave them in others say take them out. Should i leave some in versus the others. Would drilling a hole in the back and running a little refugium be bennifical? Is the little skimmer that can fit in the back compartment looking into? My other question is about cycling the tank. How should i do it? With live fish or i've heard add some fish flakes or even a cooked shrimp. I put a shrimp in for a day untill i got a ammonia reading and then took it out per someone's recomendation. I'm clueless as i said this is my first experience with saltwater.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
1. Congrats on entering the world of SW!
2. Additional water movement is always a plus. I like to have at least 10X the total volume of water. e.g. for your tank: 240 gph turnover.
3. You can use the filter pads, but only for mech. filtration. Don't use the bio-media because your LR (live rock) will take care of that. However, you need to add some additonal LR say anywhere from 15 to 30 pounds. That would give you a total of 25 to 40 pounds, where you would definitely be set of bio-filtration.
4. If you drill a hole in the back of the tank to add a refugium that always helps. Growing Macro Algae is great to help lower nutruients in their own system, in lieu of growing them in the main tank.
5. A skimmer is great! You can either add one in the filter capartment as you stated, or you can add one in the refugium that you are also taking about. Adding it to the refugium would removing out of the main tank's filtration system. A plus IMO.
6. If you already have NH4 in your tank, it is already in the process of cycling. I would keep measuring the water parameters until they read (0=NH4, 0=NO2, <25 ppm NO3). No need to add any fish if you have NH4 in there. Your LR will take care of that.

What are you planning on keeping in that 24g tank?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts