Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty then. So I have a 75 gal with 3 baby rb's and want to get more into plants. I have a big piece of arched driftwood with two amazon swords to cover the archway so the fish can hide behind and some other small single skinny looking plants couldn't tell you what they are the lfs guy said they'd be fine in a low light tank. Which brings me to my set up. All i have is regular small sized gravel and two 40watt t12 6500k aquarium bulbs from the hardware store. My kh is way off, like 13dkh so very hard water. I've got like 4 of the flourish tabs in the gravel along with using regular kents liquid plant fertilizer like twice a week. Well the long skinny plants are ok, sorry i don't have the name i'll go back an see what they are. But the swords aren't doing so hot. I would love to do some more plants but also keep it low tech. What plants should i consider that could possibly survive for me and also any other ideas as far as fertilizer or possibly adding some other plant substrate mixed in with the gravel? This is my first time ever attempting this so bear with me. Thanks for any advice!

·
DYNOMITE!
6,671 Posts
If I got this right, you have 80w over your 75g. You have regular gravel, which is ok, but you should be hitting your water column params for best results.
10-25ppm nitrate, (NEVER let it go lower than 10) .5-2ppm phosphate(very important to hit this one as well) dose micro ferts, and some extra iron won't hurt. Oh, 20ppm of potassium will do your stems/roots some good as well.
A consistent light schedulle every day would do your plants good too. I recommend a timer, with a photoperiod in between 10 and 12 hrs a day.
Some good plants for your setup would be:
Mosses, Java ferns, Anubias, Cryptocorynes, Bolbitis, and Hornwart.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts