Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i put in this great looking rock the other day and my ph shot up. I really want to keep it in the tank but I am afraid that I can't because of the effect it has on the ph of the water. Is there anyway to treat this rock so that it will be more neutral and not affect the ph?

·
Registered
873 Posts
it was probabally limestone, or had a vein of limestone in it . . . as far as I know there is no way of treating limestone to not alter your PH. you could try adding some ph-down, but it will be an ongoing problem to keep a steady PH. I would get rid of it.

~Will.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i took it out, i wish i could put it back in. I will take my water down to the lfs again tomorrow to see if it has changed at all. I think they sell it as a lace rock. I have no idea what it is exactly composed of but it is very pourous and has a great curve to it that makes a great cave. Wish I had a digital camera so someone could identify it for me.

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
you can coat in in a polyurithane once dry it is safe for fish and wont affect the water (at least thats what I heard)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts