Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 5 inch black rhom in my 20g tall for three weeks. He never comes out of the hiding cave I put in the tank. I mean never. I find fish bodies and turds from him in the cave so he must come out at night. Is this normal and when if ever will he come out of the cave? The lights are on for mybe 8 hours and I have the light wrapped with electrical tape to dim it. I am thinking about getting him a bigger tank but if he just sits in a cave all day, what would be the point? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Common behavior for the majority of piranas particularly young ones. The best you can do is keep them well fed and allow it to condition itself to its surroundings. Remember in a fish eat fish world, small piranas hide away from being eaten by larger members and other predators that would dine on them.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Also, this is common with Rhoms. If you can find past postings, you will notice that some Rhoms are skittish, shy, and majority would never eat in front of their owners. Its a characteristic they hold.

·
Registered
564 Posts
If you've only had him for three weeks, you need to give him more time. He may open up to you, he may not. I've had my 4 inch rhom since January. He never ate in front of me until 2 weeks ago. He hid behind his favorite plant basically for 2 months straight. After that he became more daring and swam around more. If I were you I would remove the cave but still give him plenty of cover to hide in.

And sometimes we just have to accept them for the shy creatures that they are.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
My 7 inch rhomb was shy. did not want to be seen. But whould not run though. And occaisionaly take a lok at me.
But no realmovement when the lights were on. I'd take the cave out.
If you want to see him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts