Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you rhom owners, how long does it usually take a rhom's fins to heal. As you can see from my pic Mickey's tail fin was bitten or something and curious if it should have been healing by now. I've had him for over a week now.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Rhoms are not the fastest growers... If you would like to speed up the healing proccess try using some "MELAFIX" it is a natural herb of tea remidy and is available at your local fish supplier.
GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess the growth rate itself would imply that their healing process would be slower as well. I bought some of that Melafix today and am starting treatment...do you suggest the full 7 day period or less. My only concern is I had to disconnect my filter and wondering if that would be too long for it being off.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just trying to way the odds here, I don't want the filter off longer than it has to be...do you think the UG will act like a filter long enough till the treatment is complete, the bottle suggests 7 days.

·
Registered
496 Posts
If you DO decide on switching off your filter, your water will have increasing ammonia levels at a faster rate.. so, do more frequent water changes.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Why would you have to turn off your filter? I have never used that product, but no way would I turn my filter off to help a nipped fin. I would just add some salt and let it heal. Turning off the filter for 7 days most likely kill the bacteria in the filter, and you will have to recycle your tank.
I would not do it.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The fin will heal on its own, I've decided to turn back on the filter and let it heal naturally, you really think salt would help the fin heal, how much should I put in per 5 or 10 gallons?

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Rosecity,
If you ever need to medicate, which is not needed to heal a fin, just take the carbon out of your filter, not turn it off.

·
Go Bucks!
3,164 Posts
Yea, just take the carbon out of the filter. Also I would go with the salt as mentioned before. When I have tail nips I just add salt and they heal pretty quick.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts