Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
14,634 Posts
The best indication would be checking out the member gallery and other pics of the different variations of S. Rhombeous. Clearly most fish stores would sell the average highback, and not know the difference unless it has expertise in Piranha selling. Price would also be an indication, but not a garentee on whats what. Also size and good eyes can spot the similarieties.

· Serras n Snakes
3,411 Posts
The_Spoot said:
When I buy my rhom labeled as black piranha at the petstore is there any charecteristics I can identify his type as? ( As in type I mean Peru, Venezuela, and the other 1.)
[snapback]825849[/snapback]​
I see you are from Jersey ... why not try to swing by George's place (Shark Aquarium)?

· Registered
920 Posts
ya basicly you cant tell unless collection point is known.....IMO you can tell when a rhom is from guyana and also kinda of tell if its a peru highbacj but thats about it and also sometimes you cant even tell those

· what up NINJA
4,104 Posts
RhomZilla said:
The best indication would be checking out the member gallery and other pics of the different variations of S. Rhombeous. Clearly most fish stores would sell the average highback, and not know the difference unless it has expertise in Piranha selling. Price would also be an indication, but not a garentee on whats what. Also size and good eyes can spot the similarieties.
[snapback]825952[/snapback]​
It's def impossible to tell according to looks. Only if it was caught and put in a box w/ a label of where it's from. Also it could not even be what you think it is. A black piranha is and will forever be a common name. That means it may not even be a rhombeus at all. Same w/ why S.Sanchezi are being called black diamond piranha. Also why S.Brandti are being called white pirahna, and even black/gold diamond piranha (pedro's are rhoms BTW). highback, black diamond highback, any name given that is not RHOMBEUS is false and only describes shape and color. A highback isn't a highback until it gets a high-back. A diamond rhom has a lot of glittery scales on the sides, where a Jet black rhom will have very few. Any of this clicking?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.