Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into purchasing a Rhom and I'm curious as to the difference between the High Back and Xingu Gold. Can someone please explain. Are there any other variations?

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Deeks Posted on May 18 2003, 07:31 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm looking into purchasing a Rhom and I'm curious as to the difference between the High Back and Xingu Gold. Can someone please explain. Are there any other variations?
Both are dealer common names applied to S. rhombeus from 1) type color 2) type location. However, like most things with piranhas the common name doesn't mean it is correct. I've seen some so-called high backs turning out to be another species of pirana other than S. rhombeus and Xingu gold being S. spilopleura. So caution is the byword.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan on ordering from belowwater.com, are they a reliable source? Are there any differences in size, aggression?or is it just a matter of colour and origin?

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Deeks said:
or is it just a matter of colour and origin?
Bingo.

~Dj

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Different areas are usually common on which to distinguish or classify a certain species of P. Most common characteristics (known to distinguish by most folks) of Xingus are gold flake in their scales, High Backs usually have fins on top stretched out further back on body.

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts

Rhom, Xingu.

Seems to be a little more laterally compressed and elongated than the "black diamond".

I don't have a black diamond to show (yet) but IMO they are gorgeous. A little thicker and squattier, and the red eyes are stunning! Hopefully will be my next piranha.

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
my high back is thinner than my xingu that i used to have. maybe i have to fatten it up. the eye though are red! thats about the only think you see in my tank right now. besides the neon. kinda spooky seeing a red dot floating a round. hehe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts