Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been into cichlids mostly but now I'm interested in keeping a rhom. Here are my questions. Can a rhom live for life in a 125g with a pleco. What type of filtration should I use, can they be fed a diet that consists mostly of pellets, and freeze dried foods, what type of temperature do I need, how long do they live, will they charge the galss like most cichlids do, and how fast do they grow. Sorry for all the questions, but if I get a rhom, I want it to be happy. :D

G

·
The size of the tank really depends on the size of the rhom your gonna get. Filtration wet/dry, doubt they will eat pellets, more like shrimp, fish fellets, feeders etc... 78-82 is good. The pleco will probably get killed. It could charge the tank it all depends of the temperment of the fish. They grow fast up to around 4-5 inches then they grow REALLY SLOW like a inch a year if that even. So if you want a big one get a big one right away don't get a small one. Also after around 10+ inches they usually seems to be more aggressive than the little ones. They live for a long time.... probably longer than your gonna wanna keep it.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
First of all welcome to the site

If you get a small one, you could keep it in a small tank for quite a while, because they are really slow growers, the pleco will be eaten.
They will prefer to eat meat, fish, and other flesh than pellets and freeze dried food.
they might charge the glass, it all depends on the individual fish's personality.
as for temp 76-82 shold be fine, SMTT says they will be more aggressive in warmer waters - see his tutorial.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have a 10" rhom, this comes from experience.

He's pretty docile sometimes, but still wont let anything live with him. If you provide plants for the pleco, you might be able to pull it off. I'd keep the water around 80-81 for aggression. I feed feeders to mine because thats all he eats. I could probably starve him and get him to accept live foods, but i'd rather see him chase down feeders. It's a one fish only tank, so filtration shouldn't be too lenient. The Rhombeus grows fairly quickly to about 5 inches, then about a half inch yearly.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rhom I would get would be 2-3 inches, it is already black, and hides most of the time in the fish store tank. will the 125 suit him nicely for life?

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I would think a 125 would be fine when its big, but it is totally unnessasary while it is as small as that, and it will take years to grow big, it might come out more at home, once it is used to its environment.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Either give him many places to hide or no places at all. If you give him no places then stay near the tank as much as possible. This will raise his aggresion because he is used to you being near him. Look in he Saved Topics. There is a post in there about how to raise the aggresion of a Rhom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts