Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
took this rhom out of the 55 he was in to house the terrible tern. not that the rhom will care. he's big on chillin' and not being too active. at any rate, he's now in a 40 gal long on the old bookcase in the den. he's got kinda neat colors for a young rhom. i was thinking just some black sand and maybe leave that tree to keep it simple but nice. it's bare now. ideas for decor anyone, or does the black sand sound like it may be neato.
p.s. i know you can't i.d. a rhom without knowing the collection point, and i don't know it. i've heard he looks kinda brazilian high backish; anyone willing to guesstimate where he's from for me to the best of their ability? if you know your rhoms, it'd be nice to hear an opinion on him since that's the closest i'll ever get to knowing his origin. thanks.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
slightly older photo in the 55 that now houses tern the terrible.

·
The Lord Himself is Life to me
4,283 Posts
Wow, that is a killer looking rhom. Especially given his size.

edit: Personally, I think he would look better on a light substrate to bring his colors, but that's just me. Some low lying plants like some anubias nana. Made some small pieces of drift wood, but nothing big so that he would hide.

As to an ID, I'm by no means an expert but he has some xingu type qualities. The red eyes at an early age and the lighter color. Though, the shape of his face reminds me more a vinny. If I had to guess I would say something from the xingu.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the honest opinions slanted. maybe light sand and some wood then? i'd like to keep deco light since young rhoms are big hiders. he thinks he hiding behind the clear filter tube right now. he's an imbecile. open to suggestions on the sand. will balck sand make him blacken faster or is that nonsense.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
he spent the night with tern the terrible in the 55. i took a nice big glad plastic container and put nail holes in it. then he lived in there overnight like bait in a bait bucket until he was moved. i'm sure he didn't have a positive opinion about a large pygo moving into his home. i wasn't going to risk a brawl by not putting one in a armored pen though. i can't
think of two of my fish who would hurt each other worse than those two. the tern is bigger and stronger and the rhom gets really territorial and bites very very hard when he does bite things like food and the mag-float. it was a quick one day change over for both fish. the tern was like a frantic moron in the new tank. mr. anti social sure missed his shoal alot once they weren't around to make a new home less scary. he brought it on himself though.

·
Photo Whore
2,656 Posts
Very nice looking rhom mate, I'd go with the dark sand and some small pieces of bogwood with some java ferns or similar for decor.

Dark but natural looking

Cant help with the i.d. though
sorry

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
nice looking rhom. i'd go for a natural look if i was going to decorate. then again it's me, so it would probably just wind up being a bare tank.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i just hit home depot and got some sand for the 40 gal rhom tank. washed it thoroughly in the laundry tub and added. waiting for it to settle. the rhom already loves it. he's cruising all around. normally he despises cruising.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
NICE RHOM. CONGRATS ON THE NEW SETUP

1 - 13 of 13 Posts