Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
How long could I keep a 6 inch rhom in a 33 gallon tank? Any suggestions on how I can ensure it survives before I get a bigger tank?? Should I keep very little decorations in there so that the fish has space to swim?? Is an aqua clear 500 a sufficient amount of filtration for the fish???

·
my sister is #1 best prostitute
10,963 Posts
how big is the RHOM?

if its only 2 - 3 inchs it should be ok until it gets up over 4inchs.

if it is small then you should definately have some decorations for hiding and some open area for swimming..

IF the rhom is bigger then about 4 - 5 inchs you should really have a bigger tank.. personally i perfer a longer deeper tank over a tall tank, i think it provdes a better enviroment since P's are river fish and need room to swim..

i have a 7 - 8 inch rhom in a 55 and hes not terriblly cramped but would beffinately be much much better in my 125 which im going to set up well planted for coveron one side and the other side is going to be open for swimming space, with sand and larger river rocks, a wet/dry with the returns on the open side of the tank to create a good current..

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would it survive though at 6 inches? The tank is 3 feet long and 1 foot wide and 18 inches high. Can it survive for about one year? Should I get a powerhead or is my tank too small for that? If I have really good filtration and I do regular water changes, it should be okay in there right?

·
The Lord Himself is Life to me
4,283 Posts
Obviously a 6" rhom will need at least a 60 gal tank to be housed at a reasonable level of comfort for 3 years or so of growth; having said that, the rhom will be okay in a 33 gal for a year, but that is just about at the outer limits of tolerance. You will need to stay on top of water parameters. Definately do not add a powerhead in that size tank. And give him enough cover so that he feels protected but not so that it takes up swimming or turning room. So tall but non-bushy plants will do fine. Anacharis(sp?) types. Make sure light is dim. And I would only feed him 2-3 times a week as well. The reason for all of this is to reduce stress so that he will not hurt himself by spazzing out.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You have time to keep him in that tank. I think your talking about a 30 gallon tank. 33 gallon is 48 inch long. 1-2 year is about your max for that fish. Rhoms grow very slow don't worry. You will upgrade after that if you decide to keep him.

I grew a 10" RB IN A 20 GALLON FOR 10 YEARS.

·
Registered
162 Posts
you should be fine for a while but upgrade soon your fish will swim much more. About the powerhead you fish will definately benefit from alittle current if he spends twice the effort to swim the same distance the tank will seem larger for the fish. Make sure not to over do the current and keep it at mid water level so the p can have an area of more stagnant water. I think around 80 to 100 gph should be about right depends on the size of the fish.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
kamekazi said:
would it survive though at 6 inches? The tank is 3 feet long and 1 foot wide and 18 inches high. Can it survive for about one year? Should I get a powerhead or is my tank too small for that? If I have really good filtration and I do regular water changes, it should be okay in there right?
[snapback]876244[/snapback]​
once a week water changes, an AC 500, and the tank size you mentioned will be fine for a year. Dont worry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts