Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
G

·
Just to clarify the fish pictured from our website.

The fish pictured is actually Serrasalmus spilopleura cf., we have had a few discussions with Frank about this fish and I believe that is the final decision.

We are trying to import the actual medinei and hope to have the correct fish in within a month or so. The picture posted we did originally name the medinei as that fish is what has been sold as the medinei for many years now.

In order to help clean up some confussion in the hobby and bring us hobbyists closer to the correct scientific descriptions, this fish will now only be offered by us as the spilopleura CF. I am hoping that in the future we provide less confusion and more quality descriptions.

We shall see.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,117 Posts
So then what exactly seperates the charecteristics of the Spilo CF and what is an actual Medinai?

~Dj

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
go to the piranha science forum and look at the post i made called "S. Compressus" it explains most of it there. this is the reason I have my signature as S. Spilopleura CF and not medinai anymore. also it is very hard to tell almost all species of piranha apart at a young age. if you use a large specimen of course it's going to be easy

Joe

·
Got Rice?!?
2,117 Posts
I left a post for frank, hopefully he sees it.

~Dj

·
Registered
10,481 Posts
About what size is the average size of a rhom for their eyes to turn red?
Depends largely on the fishes age, however 6 inches TL is not uncommon for it to turn its distinctive bright red orbit.
So then what exactly seperates the charecteristics of the Spilo CF and what is an actual Medinai?
Location is the main separation from there comes its unique characteristics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.