Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have high ph tap water and I heard R/O water was lower in pH. How hard is it make your own R/O system and what does it involve? What are the benefits? I am sorry if this has been covered a lot already. Thanks for any help.

·
Danse Macabre!
10,561 Posts
I believe it's just about impossible to make your own R/O system, or at least I've never heard of such a thing being done.

The benefit of R/O water is that it is just water, H2O and that's it. No hardness, no chemicals, no nothing. What you would do in this case, is mix your R/O water with your high ph tap water to get softer water since using R/O water would cause your ph to crash horribly due to the lack of buffering capacity.

But, if your piranhas are fine, I don't see a need to go through all the hassle of an R/O setup, just keep the ph stable and they'll be healthy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh man, well my pH is now down to 8 on the dot. I had to use peat moss and blackwater extract to even get it there.

G

·
No point in using R/O unless you have a SW set-up, or possibly Rays and Discus. I dont think DIY-ing is possible, like El said.

Playing with your pH is a dangerous think. I would be strongly against it!

--Dan

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just leave peat moss in the filters all the time. If I don't the hardness of the water along with the tap pH cause it to soar. (8.8 or higher) The fish lived fine but they are much moe active since I lowered the pH a little.

G

·
Live Webcam doesnt work:)

You are toying with your pH using natural materials, so it wont soar and drop drastically in a short period of time.

--Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts