Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, glad to have found this forum.

A couple of weeks ago I rescued 4 RBP from an abandoned unit in my condo building. They were in truly attricious conditions and looked as though they hadn't received any kind of maintenence for quite awhile (the water was so dark I couldn't actually see the fish until I'd drained about half the tank.

Two weeks later they're now in 125 gallons, very stable water parameters with good filtration and water flow. They have all of thier colour back and are generally looking good. Even fin nips etc are healing quickly. However yesterday I noticed that the biggest of them flashing against a piece of driftwood in the tank. Try as I might I can't see any evidence of external parasites, ick or anything.

They're also shy feeders but I'm assuming that has something to do with long-term bad conditions and the stress of moving them.

Hoping for some general advise as I'm mostly a reptile guy and these are the first piranha I've ever kept...want to make sure I'm doing it right and giving them a good long life.

Thanks!

·
Wavy
11,545 Posts
Hey that's really cool of you to save those fish. Some pics of the setup would help identify if there's anything you are missing or could do better. The flashing doesn't necessarily mean parasites or ick.

Try dimming the overhead lights or feeding when the lights are off completely, that will slowly acclimate them to feeding time and once they associate your presence with food it won't matter if the lights are on or off.

Good luck and welcome the site!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Trigga,

Thanks so much for the reply! Helpful stuff! I'll attach some pics of the aquarium below. I've gotten rid of all the artificial stuff and planted it, the flashing still happens but with much less frequency...no longer worrisome.

I'll try your advise with feeding and the lights because their feeding is still really hit and miss. I often have to leave the food in there longer than I'd like and wait for them to go for it.

Note for the pics, the wood is new and I've got tons of that ugly white fungus, and I usually keep the lights dim, just turned them up for the pics.

Thanks again!

·
Wavy
11,545 Posts
They look pretty healthy man keep doing what your doing!

Yeah I would avoid keeping food in there longer than necessary, try the lights off method, I promise they will adjust.

Is that the 125 gallon?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They look pretty healthy man keep doing what your doing!

Yeah I would avoid keeping food in there longer than necessary, try the lights off method, I promise they will adjust.

Is that the 125 gallon?

Yeah thats the 125. I'm not a huge fan of corner units but space is limited in my condo and it's the only way to make it work around the herp enclosires. Doesn't look like 125 but it's 4' deep so it's a bit like the tardis.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts