Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like there's interest here but a lack of topics.

Just curious what topics are of interest. Shouldn't be too hard for
me or someone else (Hastatus, Poly, etc.) to find info.

Unusual fish behavior, fossil stuff, fish physiology, whatever....

By the way, what happened to Crockeeper, anyone know?

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
acestro said:
By the way, what happened to Crockeeper, anyone know?
he has like 3 separate facilties across the midwest, i was always surprised he could post with the regularity he did anyway

ppl DO just lose interest in fish forums as well... I took a 4-month break from all forums myself.

I will have a technical thread for you guys to mull over when I return from work today, regarding why these fathead minnows-- who show full signs of breeding readiness in both sexes-- are not breeding. I want to go to work though so I can see our Aquatox flakes have an ingredients label or not... I was unable to find an ingredients listing on the internet, save the time-intensive option to email someone who would provide them.

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Breeding "triggers" (as named in the recent TFH article) are cool to discuss. Many angles there.

·
DOC#003162
14,969 Posts
acestro said:
Breeding "triggers" (as named in the recent TFH article) are cool to discuss. Many angles there.
[snapback]829082[/snapback]​
i just got a quick glance at an article that said to get corys breeding to do a water change

with cool water right before a thunderstorm. i havent read the whole thing yet but just

thought it was kinda neat, plus i just saw this thread so i thought i try to add

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good addition. Mimicry of the change of seasons (dry to wet) in the tropics is a good trick. Water change and from the storm a change in barometric pressure can be good tricks. These are fish that scatter eggs for the most part, so breeding before all of the rain and muddy water means your eggs get eaten. So they've evolved ways to notice when good breeding times are beginning.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
It has been shown also that just plain cool water changes on conditioned fish regardless of barometeric pressure works.
Polypterus fit this model.

Seasonal mimicry does in fact work for some very difficult species, I remember reading a great study done on Mormyrids
where such attention proved very valuable. Need to find that
article again it was facinating.

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good stuff.

Funny how we take cold showers for the opposite effect. But I digress (extremely).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.