Piranhas Forum banner

Rental Company Problems!

78 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Hemi 
#1 ·
We are renting a house that has a business directly behind us (wraps around 3 sides of the yard, but has a chainlink fence)

Since near day 1 we have had problems with the business behind us calling the rental company. I think it is because the owner of the house owns the business as well. Anyways, the first time they called the rental company, was because Chris left the water running on the lemon tree, and some water spilled into the dirt on their property. This was so stupid that they would call the rental co. just for that.

Fast forward to last month. The business claims they found "bullet" holes in the side of their building's siding (aluminum type siding). They call the rental company saying the found 1 bullet (they said it looks like a pellet from a pellet gun) and their is a couple holes in the side of the building. So the rental company calls us and we just tell them the truth, we dont know anything about those damage on the neighbors building.

Here we are this month, receive a letter in the mail saying they "investigated" the damages and found the cause came from our side of the property. They also showed us the estimate of repair for 2 little dime sized holes

just a tad over $2000!

They want the payment asap (stated in the letter)! We did not even cause the damage, but they are now saying we have to pay the company to get the entire side of their building replaced!

Need some advice...
oh and we have not called them yet, we just got the letter today.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would just move ASAP because the problems will never end. Don't pay $2000 unless you're on camera doing some thing wrong and never admit to any thing. When you speak to the rental company choose you words wisely and don't yell just be respectful. I assume you have some form of a contract I would read every bit of it to find out what your options are.

BTW I have only owned homes never rented

#3 ·
Tell them to prove without a doubt that you caused the damage and to prove it in court.
Do you own a pellet gun? Is there video of you doing this? If not they have no right to charge you for damage to a property that you do not rent from them. Tell them to talk to their insurance since that is where they should seek money from. Not from you. As you are not responsible for that property.
At the same time make a list of all the things on your lot that they need to fix and send that to them as well.
OR you can let them know that you will pay for that damage however you will be deducting it from your next months rent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.